Web & Freeware fonts

Started by Farabomb, April 07, 2016, 05:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

You can outline them though...but yes, both formats are dead and useless.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

At least you can embed fonts in a postscript. But yes, dead... although I still will save crappy Microshaft PDFs to .ps and re-distill to PDF, if they give me a fit. Only in a pinch and I'm not proud of it. But never a .eps.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

We still have one customer using Quark. Every page they save out of Quark as EPS and distill it to a PDF. I've begged them to stop doing that but because it solved a problem 15 years ago they won't change.

:blowup:

Ear

Wow. Even back in the days of PS, we never took it from EPS to PDF.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Ear

It's like buying a brand new truck and yanking the electronics to put a 4 barrel carb on it. EPS is the design version of Points & Condenser... they were never good.

Farabomb

I think there are a shocking amount of people still using ideas formed in the dark ages of digital stripping.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Their favorite saying, "That's the way we've always done it". If everyone did that in every thing we do in life we'd still be taking our clothes down to the creek to wash them and walking out to the outhouse in the rain at 4:00 am. Many people are scared of progress.

Ear

... way we've always done it... I hate that line. I actually say "well, you've always done it wrong".

Or "it's the exact same as last year". ORLY? Then why does Date Modified show as yesterday? After a few minutes of this, you learn that "it's the same as last year but my computer crashed, so I got a new one and upgraded the software a couple months ago. We just made a few changes to the new file but it really is the same as the last one"

:shocked: :sad: :drunk3:

:strangle:

Joe

Quote from: Ear on April 14, 2016, 03:14:28 PM... way we've always done it... I hate that line. I actually say "well, you've always done it wrong".

Or "it's the exact same as last year". ORLY? Then why does Date Modified show as yesterday? After a few minutes of this, you learn that "it's the same as last year but my computer crashed, so I got a new one and upgraded the software a couple months ago. We just made a few changes to the new file but it really is the same as the last one"

:shocked: :sad: :drunk3:

:strangle:

And it sucked last year too!

Ear

... oh I remember now, that's the file that kept me from getting my 1 year sober pin, last year. :( You're right, it IS the same!

StudioMonkey

'It's the same as last time apart from some amends' 

Yeah and I spent all day last time fixing it and now I got to start from scratch and fix it again because I can't figure out where the amends are to do them in my version and anyway I might miss something and then it really will be my fault and  . . . and . . . and . . .   :rage: 
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

No kidding, I almost was expected to to that from 150 miles away this weekend. After waking up at 6, racing all day then hanging out till midnight.

Yeah, not gonna happen.

"it's a new file, there are changes" No there weren't, you just fixed what I already fixed. The issue is you only fixed one tiny part of this clusterfuck.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

I will have to make a note of this web fonts malarkey...

And seriously -- .EPS is considered a "dead" format for Illustrator??  That's what I've always used, as they give me fewer problems than .AI files (but then again, I'm working on ancient computers here...)!

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

TatyanaJones111

Quote from: Farabomb on April 07, 2016, 06:22:53 AMIf anyone is awake I have a hateful file that keeps failing in trapping. I'm trying to isolate the issue but it's not playing nice. It isn't a complex design so I really don't know why it's failing. I've ran it through distiller, resaved one of the links (can't do the other as it's a newer version of illy) reoutput the PDF, it just doesn't like me more info crazy bulk coupans code. Looking at the design I can't run it without trapping but it does go through with trapping off.