Next OS Sierra will drop support for many 07-09 Macs

Started by Possum, June 13, 2016, 01:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

Not sure it is really that big of a deal. Todays Apple event has to be the most boring event in their history since Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Siri is a nice addition to macOS (formally OS X), but really, how often am I going to use that when in an office place? At home I can see it being a bit more useful for playing music. Being able to use Siri to play what I want is a nice addition. Unless I am missing something calling the iOS update "the mother of all release" seems to be overstating it by a wide margin.

Possum

Siri, what's the best way to rid myself of idiotic sales pukes without being arrested?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Ear

YAY! Finally, I can tell the boss I NEED to upgrade my 2007 model iMac. :banana:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

QuoteThe older hardware had a pretty good run, but it's always sad when the end of a computer's useful life is dictated by Apple rather than by the user who bought the machine.

OK it isn't the end of a computer's life dictated by Apple. No one makes you (the author) upgrade to the latest OS. I hear there are still people running Snow Leopard! :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

QuoteThe older hardware had a pretty good run, but it's always sad when the end of a computer's useful life is dictated by Apple rather than by the user who bought the machine.

OK it isn't the end of a computer's life dictated by Apple. No one makes you (the author) upgrade to the latest OS. I hear there are still people running Snow Leopard! :rotf:
;)
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Possum

Joe

Quote from: Ear on June 13, 2016, 01:15:33 PM

;)

See?

QuoteSiri on the Mac can be used for searching, blah, blah, blah....

I wonder if the Siri search will actually find anything you are looking for. That would be great update from Spotlight. It sucks mightily.

Joe

Possum

DCurry

I'm still running 10.6.8 on my home iMac. Oddly enough, I'm getting ready to update it to El Capitan in the next couple weeks anyway. It's a 2009, but I can't remember if it's mid or late so I don't know if it will take Sierra.

It's been a great machine. I've been putting off upgrading because for the most part everything runs fine as is. It's getting a little slow, so I figured might as well bring it up to date and add some RAM while I'm at it. I hope my CS 5 transitions okay! Not sure a re-install attempt would be successful.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Possum

Better make sure you can go backwards if you need to. I really have doubts about CS5 running on El Capitan, let alone Sierra.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on June 13, 2016, 01:38:06 PMI'm still running 10.6.8 on my home iMac. Oddly enough, I'm getting ready to update it to El Capitan in the next couple weeks anyway. It's a 2009, but I can't remember if it's mid or late so I don't know if it will take Sierra.

It's been a great machine. I've been putting off upgrading because for the most part everything runs fine as is. It's getting a little slow, so I figured might as well bring it up to date and add some RAM while I'm at it. I hope my CS 5 transitions okay! Not sure a re-install attempt would be successful.

I updated a 2008 iMac to El Capitan running CS6 and it still worked after the upgrade. But I'm pretty sure the computer is slower than it was running Lion.

Edit: I did have to install the old Apple Java 6 runtime before Illustrator would launch but that was no biggie.

Possum

Now it looks as though Sierra will have a somewhat different file system. That may make using older software with it harder to do.

Fontaholic

My Macs at work are still running 10.4 and 10.5... :old:

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3: