GRACoL Question

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, September 24, 2016, 07:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I'm sorry, if I didn't produce it on my proofer, it isn't a proof.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

I love when they give you a previous sample from a different shop and we don't match, and determine that the previous printing was shit, and they insist we match it. :ohno:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

pspdfppdfxhd

You wouldn't believe some of the tap dancing we're had to do here over the years. It would qualify as "SHENANIGANS". :drunk3:  :drunk3:

born2print

pspdfppdfxhd

And you can throw a bit of MALARKEY in there as well. BLACK MAGIC and BULLS*&T as well.

pspdfppdfxhd

Oh boy, this story is getting weirder by the day. I'll try and post when able.

Hint: Part of its about the REFLEX BLUE to process conversion. The client is very fussy about hitting that color in process.  :drunk3:

pspdfppdfxhd

My gray hair may soon start falling out.

pspdfppdfxhd

REFLEX BLUE to cmyk? You can't get there from here.

pspdfppdfxhd

born2print

waaaay out if I remember correctly.  :shoots_self:

Farabomb

The facts will never stop a customer from asking the impossible. His last shop did it so your facts are wrong. Matters not how much info you can place into their hands proving your point, the last shop did it. How do you get reflex to look like reflex? Fill the fountain with it and run the job as 5c. Fuck the customer that wants you to do backflips and change the world so they can save by making the job 4c. Out the gate you already have a problem. God bless. you're fucked

That's one of the problems with shops doing the impossible just to get the work. The last shop does some witchcraft to placate them, your shop prices it lower not knowing the hell involved and you're left on the hook to make it happen. It doesn't matter how many hours it takes jerking around with the files, how many other customers get pissed because of the crippled throughput, as long as the "big client" (group of total assholes) is happy.

Then the client gets a price cheaper from some other sucker that's less than the money you're loosing on every job and they bounce to them. It's like a hot chick with herpes. You know it's going to be a shitshow; you know it's going to hurt and bring you to tears but you do it anyway. The only difference is you might be able to recover and put it behind you. Herpes never goes away or so I've heard.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

somehow your analogy of comparing print buying to contracting herpes makes sense.

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Farabomb on September 28, 2016, 09:46:15 AMThe facts will never stop a customer from asking the impossible. His last shop did it so your facts are wrong. Matters not how much info you can place into their hands proving your point, the last shop did it. How do you get reflex to look like reflex? Fill the fountain with it and run the job as 5c. Fuck the customer that wants you to do backflips and change the world so they can save by making the job 4c. Out the gate you already have a problem. God bless. you're fucked

That's one of the problems with shops doing the impossible just to get the work. The last shop does some witchcraft to placate them, your shop prices it lower not knowing the hell involved and you're left on the hook to make it happen. It doesn't matter how many hours it takes jerking around with the files, how many other customers get pissed because of the crippled throughput, as long as the "big client" (group of total assholes) is happy.

Then the client gets a price cheaper from some other sucker that's less than the money you're loosing on every job and they bounce to them. It's like a hot chick with herpes. You know it's going to be a shitshow; you know it's going to hurt and bring you to tears but you do it anyway. The only difference is you might be able to recover and put it behind you. Herpes never goes away or so I've heard.

Sad, sobering, but true

Farabomb

I wanted to wait till the second page to weigh in. Joe's posts on the first page are just too perfect and explains in simple terms just how impossible what they are asking is. It all falls on the people that have ZERO experience in a print production environment yet think they can implement things. Yes Mr. Engineer, in the land of circular cows what you propose might be able to work if everything is perfect. NOTHING IS EVER PERFECT.

It can be done, it's not impossible. What almost everyone misses is the cost involved. If a customer insists and you don't have CM in place let them walk, unless they are willing to foot the bill. Anything else is just pissing up a rope and hastening the doors closing.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Everyone associates the devil and the color red but the devils true color is reflex blue! It is from HELL!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.