News:

Main Menu

Gigabit switches

Started by frailer, May 28, 2017, 10:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We've had a Netgear GS108 (8 port) for a looong time. Just after gigabit came in, from memory.

We need to access 9 or 10. Our IT guy has said that as our needs are simple, we can just hook up 2 8s together.

Don't want to go super cheap, but does anyone have a recommendation on brand/model?

Also, I was thinking 2 new ones would be wise, as they do have a 'service life', from what I can gather.

Thanks...  :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Well if you are buying new why not get one 16, 24 or a 48 port? Stringing 2 together and you lose one port on each where the cable plugs in from one to the other. You're paying for 16 but only get 14 useable. We use Netgears also. HP makes good ones too but you will pay a premium for them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

After another discussion here, we'lll probably go for another 8 port, as once the current iMacs are de-commissioned, we'll most likely not need the second, and if we do there'll be enough, in our limited situation.

The GS108 is still sold, apparently. I guess it's not an in-built obsolescence sorta thing really, is it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Farabomb

All I buy here and at home are netgears. I've had good success with them and never had an issue setting them up.

I'm with Joe, no reason to daisy chain them, just get one with more ports than is needed just for the future.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yep... the less connections the better.

mattbeals

If you connect Switch-A to Switch-B you will likely use Switch-A8 (port 8) to connect to Switch B8 (last port). Depending on what devices you connect to switches A and B you'll be doing a lot of cross talk that will flood the connecting ports. That flood will slow things down.

Better to go with a 16 port in the long run. But if you decide on 2 switches then put your devices that talk to each other the most ("power users") on the one switch, Switch-A, and the others on Switch-B. This way you minimize the amount of cross talk that needs to be done and you can keep your heaviest traffic on the one switch. Not a great idea, but it's one way of managing traffic and priority.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

Thanks Matt. This should only be a temporary thing for the transition, but well worth the $84 outlay to have the new iMacs up, while the old ones are de-commissioned.
We'll put the new one in as A, the old one will become a 'spare'. The old one has never missed a beat. I should not have said that. :tonofbricks:

Farabomb

Damn, 16 ports go for $50 here. Australia wants to kill you and make you broke.  :o

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on May 31, 2017, 05:58:39 AMDamn, 16 ports go for $50 here. Australia wants to kill you and make you broke.  :o
A whole lot of factors affect that. Size of market, mainly, but not the only factor. Bear in mind, too, our peso dollar has dropped a lot in 2 years.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on May 31, 2017, 05:58:39 AMDamn, 16 ports go for $50 here. Australia wants to kill you and make you broke.  :o
Really? I bought a Netgear 4-port a few years back and it ran me something like $35. I have no use currently for a 16 port, unless I want to run new hardlines for my whole house, but I'd get one if they were just $50.

I have my router with 4 ports, and then a 2nd router, which I may later configure as an AP with 4 more ports... they are on the far side of the house. I ran hardline off two ports almost 100 feet to reach the living room and garage... yeah... my house is 2000 sq. ft. on an almost 15000 sq ft. plot. The garage and where the modem is is basically the two furthest points. I spend a lot of time in the garage - I can do what the fuck I want and no one bothers me. That's why it's where the bar is.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

This was the lowest priced one. Bare bones but would likely work just fine in a home or small department setting. You can easily spend more. Think when we bought the 24 port rackmount it was $230 but you pay extra for those little tabs.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Farabomb

Quote from: frailer on May 31, 2017, 08:34:31 PM
A whole lot of factors affect that. Size of market, mainly, but not the only factor. Bear in mind, too, our peso dollar has dropped a lot in 2 years.
Ya all don't have amazon down under? I'd go nuts if I had to go back to stores to buy things.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 01, 2017, 06:05:20 AM
Ya all don't have amazon down under? I'd go nuts if I had to go back to stores to buy things.

And their stock just hit $1,000 a share a few days ago. Wish I had been smart enough to buy some of that years ago.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on June 01, 2017, 06:05:20 AM

The do: Amazon AU But it looks a bit sparse. :rotf: