Refine settings & Overprint Handling

Started by SpicyVindaloo, June 06, 2017, 03:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpicyVindaloo

We recently installed Prinergy Connect 8.0 and have been running along pretty well. Until a job came up that printed alright but the epson proof we output was off. After doing some testing, we got the proof to output correctly by enabling Overprint Handling in the Refine and Output process plans.
We enabled it in our process plans and it really slows everything up now and seems to cause errors due to the heavy CPU usage it takes.

I opened a call with Kodak on getting some guidelines on when or if Overprint Handling should be enabled. Their answer was not helpful at all. "It really depends on your workflow" Then they copy and pasted the help section on Overprint Handling. Ugh

Anyone have any experience with this and have it enabled in their normal process plans? Anyone mind sharing screenshots of their Refine process plans? I think Prinergy 8 added a lot more settings than I remember being in 6/7.

mattbeals

Tell them you want it Ghent Work Group and/or PDF/X compliant. You know, the correct configuration...
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Where is that setting in the refine and/or output process template? Still on 7.5 here but planning on going to 8 soon so info like this is good to get ahead of first.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

SpicyVindaloo

Here is where it's at in the refine and output process plans. 
When we had the output proofs using Vector as the method, it could take 20-30 minutes to go through the color convert. If we chose raster, it might take 2-3 minutes. I didn't notice any difference in the two methods after running 30-40 pages each way.

Joe

We have never turned it on for either a refine or output process template. Here are the settings in Prinergy 7.5 that we use.

steve4

We have never used that setting as it will slow things down a lot as it is CPU intensive.
The only constant in printing is change.
Prinergy 8, InSite 7.5, Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 (x2), Heidelberg Harris M-130, Heidelberg Harris M-110, 72" x 120" Therme 5090XL 5-color In-line, 62" x 84" Theime 5060 6-color In-Line, 62" x 120" Kongsberg XL (x2), HP Indigo 7500 (x2), KODAK Digimaster (x2), EFI VUTEk HS125 Pro, EFI VUTEk LX3 PRO, 63" x 126" Inca Onset S40i and a KBA 106 & KBA 205 by end of year.

SpicyVindaloo

Joe,
We were told by the trainer to have "Set CMYK Colors to Knockout" unchecked otherwise a lot of transparencies wouldn't come out right. Same with the "Set Spot Colors to ..." setting.
I guess they had that wrong?

Joe

Quote from: SpicyVindaloo on June 07, 2017, 05:43:36 PMJoe,
We were told by the trainer to have "Set CMYK Colors to Knockout" unchecked otherwise a lot of transparencies wouldn't come out right. Same with the "Set Spot Colors to ..." setting.
I guess they had that wrong?

I don't know. That is the way our trainer set it up in 2009 and we've never seen a need to change it or seen any issues with CMYK or Spot knockouts.