News:

Main Menu

Apple Numbers

Started by DigiCorn, September 06, 2017, 05:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

How do you do a simple formula to add row items in a column?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

StudioMonkey

In Excel its easy - set the cell at the bottom of the column to Formula and put in   =SUM(A1,A2,A3)  where a1, A2 etc are the numbers of the cells you want to add.

In InDesign I assume you would need some sort of plugin.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

DigiCorn

Quote from: StudioMonkey on September 07, 2017, 03:56:32 AMIn Excel its easy - set the cell at the bottom of the column to Formula and put in  =SUM(A1,A2,A3)  where a1, A2 etc are the numbers of the cells you want to add.

I thought it'd be like that in Numbers too, but I can't figure out how to do it. It's probably there, but hidden. I just need to find the formulas.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

I don't think Numbers is quite as robust as Excel. My wife is an Excel ninja... she was showing me things on the Windows version that weren't available on the Mac version, let alone in Numbers. I'm no Window's fan, but it does excel at Excel.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Can you export the Numbers file to an Excel file and then do it in Excel?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

I'm pretty sure the world didn't need another spreadsheet program. Excel, Google Sheets, OpenOffice and Libre Office seem to have all boxes ticked. Excel is used here in some pretty interesting ways, we've got some people that can write nifty VBA.

If Apple wanted to be taken seriously they should have taken a clue from the other Excel clones and just kept the formulas the same so users wouldn't have the learning curve.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

StudioMonkey

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 07, 2017, 11:04:59 AM
Quote from: StudioMonkey on September 07, 2017, 03:56:32 AMIn Excel its easy - set the cell at the bottom of the column to Formula and put in  =SUM(A1,A2,A3)  where a1, A2 etc are the numbers of the cells you want to add.

I thought it'd be like that in Numbers too, but I can't figure out how to do it. It's probably there, but hidden. I just need to find the formulas.
Sry I didn't realise that 'Numbers' was the name of an app . . . :old:

StudioMonkey

OK I found this - ignore the URL its a tutorial on how to do stuff in Numbers

https://www.gadgetdaily.xyz/get-a-web-app-to-emulate-a-mobile-app-on-android/

[Edit]  Ignore that you have to scroll down thru what looks like years of articles

There's this
https://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-basic-spreadsheet-using-numbers--mac-56895

or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3sNrjO7QsE

zox

While Numbers does not come close to Excel when it comes to functionality, it is basic spreadsheet program that looks nice and can be made to look pretty.
Sum is basic function and works in same way as in Excel.
You have to use "Insert Formula" and choose Sum.
Formula is very is similar to Excel, e.g. SUM B2:D2 will add B, C and D columns in Row 2 together.

DigiCorn

Really, they key to anything with formulas is the start with an "+" in the cell. That brings up everything you need. The copy and paste is simplified too - literally just drag the yellow dot. It does take some getting used to, and all you can export is a .csv.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

What's this new permissions bullshit in Numbers now, where you apparently can't work on excel files anymore? Used to be that you'd open up a file from excel, save it as a .numbers file or export to a .csv. Now there's all this permission crap and it basically doesn't work at all anymore.

And yes, the file is unlocked with all options set to "Read & Write"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Where are you trying to save it to? (try the documents folder)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

It used to work off the server, but then that stopped working.
I started dragging to the desktop and dragging back, but then that stopped. I'll try that out and get back to you. Thanks.

In the meantime, I have to walk across the room and use a Windows 7 box with Excel on it to open the file, and save as a .txt then walk back to import the file for data merge. It's stupid. I should just be able to open in numbers, export as .csv and be done with it. It's like 10 seconds of my time vs. a minute.

#FirstWorldProblem
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on May 09, 2019, 12:04:15 PM
Where are you trying to save it to? (try the documents folder)
Nope. Doesn't work either - same error message
[edit] It might be this... https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

I'll check it out when I can and report back
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway