Before upgrading to High Sierra, check your drives

Started by Possum, September 19, 2017, 12:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Illustrator is always the first one to have a problem with a new OS. Remember Safari's font cache killing Illustrator? There have been at least 5% more, I just can't remember them all.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Possum on October 05, 2017, 01:48:25 PMOops, may be some problems with High Sierra's new file system and Illustrator CC, among others. Apple says no workaround, either. Maybe one later in an update.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/security-and-compatibility-problems-make-for-a-rough-apfs-transition/

Only affects those privileged enough to have SSD's. Not us peons. (yeah I'm looking at you Ear! :tongue: )
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Slappy

I should know this, as long as I've been using Macs, but I missed updating to Sierra before the High Sierra pushed - I'm stuck on El Capitan until I pull the trigger, right?  :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

I think I have a Sierra installer around here somewhere if you need it.

Ear

I have Sierra Mountains just an hour away... that's what I need.

Farabomb

I have 1.5 hours before I make my trip up into the mountains. Even though it's rainy and crappy it's still beautiful.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on October 08, 2017, 06:49:16 PMI think I have a Sierra installer around here somewhere if you need it.
Eh, it's for the home machines so no biggie. Just don't like being TOO far out of current, I'll update the Wife's Mac first with High Sierra. Odds are, she won't even notice!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Ear

Quote from: Joe on October 08, 2017, 06:49:16 PMI think I have a Sierra installer around here somewhere if you need it.
I do! I do! 

sooo... my dad tried to update his Mac Mini to High Sierra. Got impatient after a couple hours and tried to restart... then zapped the P-RAM. This threw it into a Kernel Panic boot loop. It won't respond to anything now.

I'm going to try to install a bootable volume on a partition of an external drive, but that is a bit of a challenge too, since I don't have a Sierra installer. I tried it with an early combo update but it knows that it is still just an update... at least with the Terminal method I tried.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on November 14, 2017, 02:35:05 PM
I do! I do!

sooo... my dad tried to update his Mac Mini to High Sierra. Got impatient after a couple hours and tried to restart... then zapped the P-RAM. This threw it into a Kernel Panic boot loop. It won't respond to anything now.

I'm going to try to install a bootable volume on a partition of an external drive, but that is a bit of a challenge too, since I don't have a Sierra installer. I tried it with an early combo update but it knows that it is still just an update... at least with the Terminal method I tried.

Stand by...I will PM you an FTP link.

Crap....it seems I do not have it here at work. I'll have to get it from home and get back to you tomorrow.

Ear

No worries, buddy... I was able to squeeze one out of the App Store. It's still on there, you just have to be creative with finding it, now that High Sierra is out.

It is currently installing on a partition of my Glyph, from the MBP, over USB C... says it will take 7 minutes. We'll see, that sounds fast.

Ear

I was just reading a snapshot I took of his Kernel Panic

...it says
Mac OS Version:
Not yet set.

I think this means he killed it at just the wrong spot and it doesn't know what it is. It wouldn't respond to any key commands, so I'm hoping it responds to C, so I can boot from my external.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on November 14, 2017, 03:56:07 PMNo worries, buddy... I was able to squeeze one out of the App Store. It's still on there, you just have to be creative with finding it, now that High Sierra is out.

It is currently installing on a partition of my Glyph, from the MBP, over USB C... says it will take 7 minutes. We'll see, that sounds fast.

They lie like dogs on their progress times. It will take at least an hour or more.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on November 14, 2017, 04:24:35 PMI was just reading a snapshot I took of his Kernel Panic

...it says
Mac OS Version:
Not yet set.

I think this means he killed it at just the wrong spot and it doesn't know what it is. It wouldn't respond to any key commands, so I'm hoping it responds to C, so I can boot from my external.

Plug in your bootable USB and hold down the Option key as soon as you hear the bong. All bootable drives will be shown and you can pick the one you want. Your bootable USB would be the best option but one of the options should be the recovery partition of his main drive that will let you get back to the OS that was on the computer when it shipped. But it takes a hell of a long time to download and you also have to have a wifi connection for it to work. It can't use wired ethernet on the recovery option.

Ear

It finished pretty quick. Finished already, booted the MBP from the new external system and configured it. Changed my Startup Disk back to the internal and rebooted.

Then remembered to copy the 10.12.6 full installer I downloaded, so I can run it on pops' machine later. It will be USB-C to USB 2, so it should be pretty quick.

And he has a time machine backup of all his settings and stuff, just nothing to boot from.