Update Mojave to Big Sur

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 11, 2022, 07:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

We've finally reached the point where we have to upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur. Adobe applications are no longer compatible.

Entails upgrades to the RIP, Pitstop, Quite Imposing and QuarkXpress. :vomit: (one client still uses it). Just wondering if there is something I should look out for that might be a surprise.

Thanks.

bornrd

macOS Catalina 10.15.7/Windows 10 - Adobe CC - Fuji XMF 6.13 - Luxel T9000 CTP E - KBA Rapida 105 universal - Heidelberg GTO - Heidelberg Windmill - Heidelberg Cylinder - Heidelberg Speedmaster 52 - Schelter & Giesecke PHOENIX A - Rockstroh VICTORIA - Lenpoligrafmash NEOTYPE N-7F - Konica Minolta C3080 - HP DesignJet ZP6810 - Epson Stylus Pro 4900 - Heidelberg Stahlfolder - Müller-Martini APOLLO - Müller-Martini PRESTO II - PERFECTA Cutting System

I have no idea what the f*ck I'm doing in prepress but here we are

www.ruegen-druck.de | @ruegendruck

––––––––––––––––––––––
They will chop you down just to count your rings

scottrsimons

You could also get another Mac that runs Montery or Big Sur to just run the Adobe apps. And then remote into that for the times you need it. Just a thought.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 11, 2022, 07:10:25 AM
We've finally reached the point where we have to upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur. Adobe applications are no longer compatible.

Entails upgrades to the RIP, Pitstop, Quite Imposing and QuarkXpress. :vomit: (one client still uses it). Just wondering if there is something I should look out for that might be a surprise.

Thanks.

I spent the last couple of months working upgrading all Macs to either Catalina or Big Sur. Catalina can run the latest CC but probably won't be able to with the next release. We have several iMacs that can't run Big Sur though so its not my problem the next time Adobe releases the next version. We had to wait that long waiting for Prinergy/Preps to become Big Sur capable.

Everyone in the shop uses Apple Mail. No one but me likes the new version in Big Sur. The icons in the toolbar are further over to the right than in previous versions and can't be moved seems to be their biggest gripe. I've gotten used to it so it doesn't bother me now. It did at first. The search in Apple Mail in Big Sur is much improved.

Outside of that no big surprises.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

I did the big jump from Mojave to Big Sur when the latest Adobe update came out that not longer worked with Mojave. i was pretty cautious about the upgrade but it all went surprisingly smooth. You will want to check all the apps you need are 64 bit apps, if not you will need to update them or find work arounds. One thing you can do is run an older version of Mac OS as a VM to run any older software that you need to have and can't update.

I noticed some nice general snappiness in Big Sur, though I hate that the wide widget bar is gone where you could have a calculator. I used that regularly as it was simple and easy with hot corners. This really was a step back and seems to be Apples approach lately of pulling features and adding more useless pretty ones

Joe

Yeah I forgot about the widget bar with the calculator in it. My boss was pretty upset about that. In reality using the calculator from you dock is only one mouse click so it really is not any less convenient using it from there than where the widget location was.

DCurry

Now I gotta know what the heck you're talking about with this widget bar?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2022, 10:18:01 AM
Yeah I forgot about the widget bar with the calculator in it. My boss was pretty upset about that. In reality using the calculator from you dock is only one mouse click so it really is not any less convenient using it from there than where the widget location was.

It is completely different when using hot corners. With a hot corner I move to the corner I have set and I can basically start typing my calculation, with the dock I have to click the calculator, load the program, type my numbers. When I want to use again I have to bring to the forefront. The widget sidebar is always a gesture away and ready when you need it. It is simple but super efficient

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on January 11, 2022, 10:58:48 AM
Now I gotta know what the heck you're talking about with this widget bar?

Pre Big Sur it was in the upper right hand corner in the menu bar where it has notifications and widgets. It doesn't say widgets though at least on Catalina, it says Today and has room for widgets one of which is the Apple calculator, weather, stocks, calendar etc...it is pretty sparse on the widgets available. Big Sur completely eliminated widgets.

DCurry

Sweet - never used it that way before. Of course, maybe I shouldn't do it since now I know it's being taken away next time I upgrade!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

RMPrepress

Same here Joe,  just finished upgrading/moving from 3 x 2012 Mac Pro's to 2018 Mac Mini's the 3.7 6core 64gb Ram model.  All running Big Sur.
Started from scratch on all 3 no migrating anything...worth it!  Those Mac mini's are impressive.

I have two 2012 Mac Pro's still active in prepress.  I used OpenCore Patcher by Martin Lo to run Big Sur on them...works great!!
One of them is mine...I also have a Thunderbolt card.  I just love the 2012 Mac Pro....don't want to let it go, I got one at home with the same set up.
Use VPN to work from home when needed works flawlessly.

I too miss the calculator in the widgets on the right....widgets are there but you can't add to them you can only delete the ones present.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 9.5 and Kodak Proofing System 10.0
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

I just used OpenCore Patcher to install Monterey on my Late 2013 iMac at home yesterday. Works great. Monterey has a lot more widgets than Big Sur but still no calculator.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 14, 2022, 05:26:52 PM
I just used OpenCore Patcher to install Monterey on my Late 2013 iMac at home yesterday. Works great. Monterey has a lot more widgets than Big Sur but still no calculator.
Google does math
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

So does InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Pitstop.

David

my fingers have worked great for years...

:lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca