News:

Main Menu

Retrospect revisited

Started by DigiCorn, January 10, 2012, 09:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

And here I sit trying to get some info off of a DVD that was burned about a year ago that I know used to be readable. The Mac mounts it but I can't get anything off of it. Yeah, real reliable. :sarcasm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2012, 10:29:57 AMAnd here I sit trying to get some info off of a DVD that was burned about a year ago that I know used to be readable. The Mac mounts it but I can't get anything off of it. Yeah, real reliable. :sarcasm:

you didn't really want it bad enough.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2012, 10:29:57 AMAnd here I sit trying to get some info off of a DVD that was burned about a year ago that I know used to be readable. The Mac mounts it but I can't get anything off of it. Yeah, real reliable. :sarcasm:

Apply WinDex, straight wipes from center out.. Do I have to come down there? Click-Click Boy? :kiss:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Tried all that. It's a coaster now.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2012, 11:00:15 AMTried all that. It's a coaster now.

You're the one who forsakes them, it's all pay back.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Luckily it's not all that critical. Otherwise it would have been on an HD.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2012, 11:02:40 AMLuckily it's not all that critical. Otherwise it would have been on an HD.

There you go. User error... :hello: Take care of your media, Joe. I just don't have these problems and if I do, it's because myself, or someone else neglected the rules of proper CD/DVD handling/storage. NEVER touch the surface, handle them like a lady and keep in a nice dry, cool place.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 12, 2012, 10:49:29 AM

Apply WinDex, straight wipes from center out.. Do I have to come down there? Click-Click Boy? :kiss:

Try the old gnubler tummy-trick, it used to work great on library DVDs that wouldn't play.

1. Put on a soft tshirt
2. Press disk to tummy and rub in a fast circular motion a few times
3. Say "it'll work now", insert disk, mount

Good luck.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 12, 2012, 11:10:26 AM
Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2012, 11:02:40 AMLuckily it's not all that critical. Otherwise it would have been on an HD.

There you go. User error... :hello: Take care of your media, Joe. I just don't have these problems and if I do, it's because myself, or someone else neglected the rules of proper CD/DVD handling/storage. NEVER touch the surface, handle them like a lady and keep in a nice dry, cool place.

I treat my DVD's like a pristine virgin.

Nick Burns

Behold...

For your hard drive worries, on the 11th of Jan 2012, ZFS for OS X finally has arrived...

http://www.tenscomplement.com

Don Brady, formerly of a twenty year tenure of software engineering at Apple, has started [http://tenscomplement.com/ a company] to provide a commercially supported version of the latest free ZFS for Mac OS.  The company's plans include an all-new native GUI for ZFS management. Ten's Complement describes itself as "an open source company" and is working closely with the Illumos community, while they decide how to handle the specific licensing terms of their impending code release. Don knows the architecture and implementation of behind-the-scenes Mac OS specifics which means that it will likely be a much better port ultimately than MacZFS. Don's work has repeatedly redefined Apple's storage strategy.  He was on the original HFS+ team in the 1990s, and later was one of two intrepid and visionary originators of the skunkworks port of ZFS to Mac OS.  His work is the spiritual successor of the MacZFS project, which may not otherwise exist as we know it.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

For your optical worries, the thousand year media I mentioned several months ago has arrived...

http://millenniata.com/m-disc/
Oh by the way, YOU'RE WELCOME!

frailer

Good info, Nick. Thanks. Some time here to drone over it today....

Quote from: Joe on January 12, 2012, 11:24:22 AMI treat my DVD's like a pristine virgin.

No scratching....   :tapedshut:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Nick Burns

This article and the one mentioned within are the best at explaining why we all need ZFS. In a nutshell, once you get over a terabyte in drive size, and that drive fails, the odds become very high that you will encounter an unrecoverable error in your backup drive while trying to restore your data.

Couple that with the fact that bits can get flipped when non ECC ram hiccups, or when the storage controller hiccups, you don't even know if your data really made it there safely to begin with. ECC = Error-correcting code. So what does that tell you about your non ECC ram? ZFS doesn't come into play at this stage, so you need ECC. ZFS does replace the storage controller woes. ZFS paired with ECC means when your data is written it is written verbatim. Otherwise, it's a maybe.

Then comes along bit rot, the magnetic substrate wears down over time and bits flip, like the cassette tape that doesn't sound the same after 100 plays. Or a cosmic ray zaps your only copy of some precious file. Even if you have a parity copy on RAID, what if the parity copy is the one that gets zapped, then your working drive fails and you replace it? Congratulations, you now have two zapped copies and you don't even know it (yet). ZFS records metadata (think checksum) that will know which one got zapped and replace the bad with the good when you resilver. Resilvering is the process in ZFS for resyncing your drives, a maintenance routine that can and should be run periodically whether scheduled or manually. This is supposed to be done with RAID as well, but it isn't smart enough to know which copy went bad so it really doesn't do you a whole lot of good.

All of this is why I have 750GB drives in the XRAID that our prepress department uses. The odds are in our favor that when I replace a drive it will resync before encountering an error on one of the other drives. But we do suffer bit rot on this system. I have seen it a few times now over the last five years. I go to move a file or grab a copy and it is garbled toast.

If you want to trust your data on your hard drives = ECC ram + ZFS.

If you want to trust your data on your opticals = M-Disc

Nick Burns

Once your data is under wraps, you'll have time to investigate the Quantum Resonant Gyrator with a COP of 600%! This means 6 times over unity! More advanced units have already achieved over 1000%.

I'm planning on making me some Tesla Tiki Torches for the back yard with this thing. Twenty bucks and a trip to Radio Shack, and you can transmit electricity wirelessly. And not just any old electricity, we're talking scalar cold electricity.

Spend eight minutes of your time, and you will walk away knowing that all we have been taught about physics is completely wrong!

Quantum Resonant Gyrator: Scalar Physics made easy!

frailer

So I gather ZEVO would be doing what ChronoSync does for me now, but more/better?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Nick Burns

Yes and no. One of these is an application that syncs files, the other is a filesystem that syncs files.

Think FAT32, NTFS, HFS+, these are filesystems, so is ZFS. But unlike any other FS, it abstracts away and takes over other parts of the food chain (logical volume manager, RAID card, etc...), so it is not only the best FS, it is much more than that.

Employing it means you eliminate actual hardware pieces which reduces the number of physical components that will break. Even though it is used in enterprise settings for insanely high IOPS, the beauty is you can also take a bunch of cheap pure crap Maxtor drives through usb and still not lose data.

Since it's a LVM also, you can even mix and match firewire, usb, sata, thumb, flash, ooga boogas all in one volume.

It's also an open source non proprietary FS, so when your hardware fails, you can still read and write to it from some other hardware (OSX, FreeNAS, FreeBSD, Solaris, Ubuntu, etc...).