News:

Main Menu

Acrobat 9 is out

Started by almaink, June 25, 2008, 08:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: pdboddy on June 27, 2008, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 27, 2008, 09:33:52 AMI'm noticing the word wrap usage when editing text is pretty hit or miss.

Can you edit text without it going all screwy on you now?

sometimes..  depends on the edit you're trying to make..   or at least that's what Im seeing with my first few trials..  as alma said earlier in the thread there is a word wrap feature, and so when you use Touch Up Text Tool it creates a paragraph and will wrap the text to the next line..  although I havent figured out yet if its possible to adjust the boundaries of the text box, and if you add enough, and there is text in another paragraph below it will just put the text over top of the text in next paragraph, have to undo, and adjust paragraph below down a line or two to make room..  just from first observation that is..  havent figured out if you can combine paragraphs into each other yet or not, that would eliminate the problem..  being able to open the paragraph box would help too, if anyone(alma) has figured out if its possible..

edit for typos..   :sleepy:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

almaink

I really haven't had to much time to play with it yet. I got the same results you described.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

pdboddy

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 27, 2008, 09:53:03 AMsometimes..  depends on the edit you're trying to make..   or at least that's what Im seeing with my first few trials..  as alma said earlier in the thread there is a word wrap feature, and so when you use Touch Up Text Tool it creates a paragraph and will wrap the text to the next line..  although I havent figured out yet if its possible to adjust the boundaries of the text box, and if you add enough, and there is text in another paragraph below it will just put the text over top of the text in next paragraph, have to undo, and adjust paragraph below down a line or two to make room..  just from first observation that is..  havent figured out if you can combine paragraphs into each other yet or not, that would eliminate the problem..  being able to open the paragraph box would help too, if anyone(alma) has figured out if its possible..

Ugh.  :death:

ninjaPB_43

k thanks alma..   

I'm also seeing that you cannot change the color of the type to a specific CMYK mix, too. This alone for me would warrant the need for a pitstop or similar plugin..  yes you can highlight the text with the Touch Up Text Tool and right click and go to properties and change the color, but cannot type in the CMYK values, can only choose from a limited color pallette/spectrum..  so its a guessing game as to the screen mix.

I am also getting this attached warning quite often..

the selected text is highlighted with pink, you can see that it is actually just set horizontally, so not sure why the warning and no selection.  when clicking OK from here you can still go into properties but cannot change anything as it is all grayed out.

edit: does the same if I only select one line at a time.. 
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: pdboddy on June 27, 2008, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 27, 2008, 09:53:03 AMsometimes..  depends on the edit you're trying to make..   or at least that's what Im seeing with my first few trials..  as alma said earlier in the thread there is a word wrap feature, and so when you use Touch Up Text Tool it creates a paragraph and will wrap the text to the next line..  although I havent figured out yet if its possible to adjust the boundaries of the text box, and if you add enough, and there is text in another paragraph below it will just put the text over top of the text in next paragraph, have to undo, and adjust paragraph below down a line or two to make room..  just from first observation that is..  havent figured out if you can combine paragraphs into each other yet or not, that would eliminate the problem..  being able to open the paragraph box would help too, if anyone(alma) has figured out if its possible..

Ugh.  :death:

My initial thoughts as well. And this is absolutely a warranted reason for having pitstop. IMO. In order to use Acrobat 9 for the things I have to do regularly, I would have to upgrade once Pitstop releases version that is compatible.  :cry:

Back to Acro 7, with PS 6.5 I go to get some real work done...    after lunch that is..  :ninja:

pdboddy

Yeah, Pitstop and Quite Imposing Plus.  :)  Two tools I can't do without... yet.  Maybe someday Adobe will get it...

Joe

I definitely would not want to do without Pitstop. I did it the other night but Pitstop is too powerful of a tool to be without.

PB...to change the color of the type you would need to select the text box with the "Touch Up" tool and select Edit Object. It will open it in Illy and you can change the CMYK values there. I'm not a big fan of it but if a person did not have Pitstop it could work in a pinch.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

pdboddy

Hehe, until we started getting a large number of colour jobs, we didn't have access to Illustrator.  Once the colour stuff reached a critical mass, the boss splurged and CS arrived.  ;)

Until that point, it was all done with Acrobat with Pitstop.  Ugh.   :tongue:

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on June 27, 2008, 12:15:34 PMI definitely would not want to do without Pitstop. I did it the other night but Pitstop is too powerful of a tool to be without.

PB...to change the color of the type you would need to select the text box with the "Touch Up" tool and select Edit Object. It will open it in Illy and you can change the CMYK values there. I'm not a big fan of it but if a person did not have Pitstop it could work in a pinch.

ok ok..  that works in a pinch. you're right. but yea, ugh.   Does that mean I gotta get fonts from every customer again?  ...Im just sayin'. :huh:

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

agent_orange

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 27, 2008, 01:21:53 PM
Quote from: Joe on June 27, 2008, 12:15:34 PMI definitely would not want to do without Pitstop. I did it the other night but Pitstop is too powerful of a tool to be without.

ok ok..  that works in a pinch. you're right. but yea, ugh.   Does that mean I gotta get fonts from every customer again?  ...Im just sayin'. :huh:

I know this debate is probably still raging on the appropriate thread, but you can always use Acrobat's flattener with "outline text" box checked (as a last resort, of course)....

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: agent_orange on June 27, 2008, 01:44:09 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 27, 2008, 01:21:53 PM

I know this debate is probably still raging on the appropriate thread, but you can always use Acrobat's flattener with "outline text" box checked (as a last resort, of course)....

yes indeed you could, Mr Orange.   ..in a pinch of course. Because in pinches you wouldnt be too worried about font hinting, I'd assume. :wink:

agent_orange

I'm never worried about font hinting. I settled that score back in '97 when we went 6 rounds but I came out on top. Ever since, font hinting won't even look me in the eye when I pass him on the street.   :laugh:

ninjaPB_43

T

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on June 27, 2008, 06:55:26 AMyea, I had signed in and was in the Partners page. But was going to downloads instead of clicking on the "Print Service Provider Software Downloads" link..  thanks alma.   quit giggling at me..   :cry:  :laugh:   I only had 3 hours sleep last night, and that's the excuse Im sticking too.

edit: so by being in the partners network and it giving me serial numbers, I don't have to pay the $159 upgrade?  Awesome!  :woot:

OK I'm lost where is this page link???

T