Copy fonts from NTFS share and they break.

Started by t-pat, September 06, 2012, 04:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Well, you don't see me post problems about server issues, do you? Or Quark for that matter. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Wish we had the luxury of having one person start and finish a job. We try. Sounds like a lot of copying back and forth and I know someone here would forget to do so. In any case, in our scenario that would break the fonts, once they're copied from the mac to the server, ng.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

nope...
I use and work live off a server everyday, it is the year 2012

no complaints either.    :tongue: :tongue:

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Dave - If I wanted to work off our server, I could. Seems pretty risky to do so for me. Call me old school, but I do what works. Not what's recommended. If by chance the server crashes, I have all my jobs local as a back-up, so I'm always up and running. Does it matter? 2012 is the end of the world anyway.

Patterson - I keep all the fonts local, too. We each have a copy of identical fonts, so there is never an issue of conflict, unless it's the typical customer fiasco. As far as copying, it takes seconds to copy to and from, so not really an issue. Furthermore, once you get into the habit, it becomes second nature. I've got pretty sharp guys to work with these days, so no more Sausages to contend with.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Sounds complicated. We have one copy of the job, that's it. Server is massively redundantly backed up, including tapes in the owner's safe and my boss's house as well. Raid of course.

As far as "taking seconds" I guess you don't come across the photoshop geniuses I do where I get psds that are multiple gigabytes in size. Even with gigabit ethernet and stupid fast drives on the nas it still takes a bit of time to copy.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

It works for us. We don't have Dave's budget, so a lot of the shit in here is held together by the proverbial paper-clips and bubble-gum. And yes, I get the 14 GB Photoshop files and all the rest of that bullshit, but I also have smoke-breaks and other shit to do while I copy. That only accounts for about 2% of the jobs that come in here. All the copying at the end of the day, I send it and go home. I rarely wait until it's finished.

Do what works for you.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Yeah, I work from the server too. If everyone here had to copy shit to and fro for every job it's hard telling where the hell it would end up. I'm sure no one could find it at the end of the day though. A lot of people like to store their important files in the trash can on their Mac. I learned this the hard way (for them). :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

You guys are making this sound WAY more complicated than it is. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 07, 2012, 05:45:37 PMYou guys are making this sound WAY more complicated than it is. :laugh:

You underestimate people. It would be colossal fustercluck if we were to have everyone attempting to work that way.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on September 07, 2012, 06:19:35 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 07, 2012, 05:45:37 PMYou guys are making this sound WAY more complicated than it is. :laugh:

You underestimate people. It would be colossal fustercluck if we were to have everyone attempting to work that way.

I'm not underestimating anyone. I don't have a bunch of people here with access to my server. I have 3, me, my output guy and Nick. I am not telling anyone to do it my way, nor am I saying I do it better. I am saying it is the system we use and it works for us. If I had a shitload of Sausages working off my server, I might be inclined to do it differently, but I don't.

"Attempting to work that way?" WTF does that mean? You guys are acting like it's a cardinal sin to work local. I think you guys are crazy for working off a server, but I sure as hell don't argue the symantecs because I just don't see the point. Matter of fact, I think a lot of shit people do on here is absolute insanity, but again, do what works for you.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 07, 2012, 06:32:29 PM
Quote from: Joe on September 07, 2012, 06:19:35 PM

I'm not underestimating anyone. I don't have a bunch of people here with access to my server. I have 3, me, my output guy and Nick. I am not telling anyone to do it my way, nor am I saying I do it better. I am saying it is the system we use and it works for us. If I had a shitload of Sausages working off my server, I might be inclined to do it differently, but I don't.

"Attempting to work that way?" WTF does that mean? You guys are acting like it's a cardinal sin to work local. I think you guys are crazy for working off a server, but I sure as hell don't argue the symantecs because I just don't see the point. Matter of fact, I think a lot of shit people do on here is absolute insanity, but again, do what works for you.

I do.

"Attempting to work that way" means working locally and then copying to the server. That would never work in a million years here. Hell I hear whining if the newspaper staff has to open a font when they start their machine. Imagine the shit storm that would ensue if they had to actually think about where to copy from and then where to copy to at the end of the day.

10 years ago I would have agreed about not working from a server because networking was archaic back then. But it's absolutely not a problem today. Servers are rock solid. It's much more likely their Mac will need restarted than a server. The servers all have RAID redundancy and if you copy a job locally and work on it for 6 hours and your local HD dies you've lost 6 hours of work. If that happens on a server you replace the faulty drive and keep right on working. That is what works for me. If you are happy the way you do it more power to you.

DigitalCrapShoveler

When I get a bunch of you giving me a hard time for the way I do things, especially when all I did was mention HOW I do it, I feel I have to explain. What is the very title of this thread? If servers weren't an issue, why is Patterson having a problem? All I did was mention I don't have this problem because I work local and you would think I opened up the gates of hell.

I do things a lot different than the average Prepresser because I do what works for me and my experience. I am not arguing that servers have not come along way, as well as networking. I just offered a simple solution to a very redundant problem. This is not the first time I have heard Patterson's problem and a shitload of others because they work off a server. Sorry.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I never once criticized the way you work. All I said was:

QuoteYeah, I work from the server too. If everyone here had to copy shit to and fro for every job it's hard telling where the hell it would end up. I'm sure no one could find it at the end of the day though. A lot of people like to store their important files in the trash can on their Mac. I learned this the hard way (for them).

And then told you why we have to work that way. We have to because we don't have people capable of doing it that way. I'm not saying it's better than the way you do it. I work from a server and don't have the problems listed in this thread. Fonts are still loaded locally. I don't think FE will even let you open them from the server. It copies them locally. If I have a job with fonts on the server either FE or myself copy them locally. The problem he was having was copying them to the server, not working from a server.

DigitalCrapShoveler

First off, let me just say I not the least bit offended by any of this. I actually think this is a very good debate, so don't feel you have to patronize me in any way.

Second, I understand that there are people that are dumb as shit and have to have their hands held, hence the reason the term Blood Sausage was created.

Thirdly, I am completely aware of the functions and capabilities of a server and the safety people find in using them, not only working off of them, but the fact it makes common mistakes a way of the past.

And last, I choose not to do it this way because I don't want ANYONE, capable or not fucking around with my jobs. I put way too much time and effort into a job to let anyone touch them. Call it a pet-peeve, hell, call it a phobia. These little idiosyncrasies I have, have not only kept me gainfully employed for a LONG time, but have saved my own ass on more occasions than I care to even count. I only want to be accountable for what I fuck up. Working off a server takes that option away.

Thank you very much for listening. Now please go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe