Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I agree.

What moron would buy that POS?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

They certainly have the deep pockets now to compete with Adobe. Now if their management would stop making stupid bone-headed decisions it might make for some good competition down the road which is never a bad thing.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I think Platinum Equity is wasting their money.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

I just played Bullshit Bingo with the quoted passages in that article and won in like 10 seconds.  :laugh:

I don't think I'd get along with Brian Wall too well.  :death:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Joe has a point but I got bit by quark this AM so I'm still a little bitter.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

What a bunch of carp.

I also agree about the competition. It's not like I love Adobe, but at least it works.

If quark reverts back to v. 4.1 and throws in some new Easter eggs they might have something going for them.

hotmetal

I just got the letter too, which is why I popped over here. Platinum Equity is 27th on the 2009 Forbes list of the U.S.'s largest private companies, according to Wikipedia.

I agree with Joe about what could happen if they put some knowledgeable management in place who actually listens to we, the users to find out why Quark has been on life support for the last decade. It could be turned around. Concentrate on print, spin off the web stuff to a second app or set of apps. Study Indy's weak points and hire the best software engineers money can buy. Make it simple yet powerful, and most of all, make it work again.

Just ask us, right here in this forum, what to do, and we will make you guys rich beyond your wildest imaginations. Just remember to drop a couple of quarters in the tip jar for Joe on your way to your Caymen Island bank.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

NefariousDrO

"Creative Pro" has an interview with a PR flack from Quark who claims that the team will be left pretty much the same, but implied they will be picking up additional capabilities through other acquisitions. Quark's marketshare has to have plummeted, so I'd think their only hope is to find a niche not owned by Adobe (yet) and take it over. I wonder if they're going to be focusing on things like ebook production, for instance? They used to dominate the newspaper production environments, but we all know what's happening to that market. As I see it, as long as Adobe has Photoshop and Illustrator in a bundled package with InDesign Quark will have a very hard time competing even in the unlikely event they do manage to produce a superior product. I'll admit to mixed feelings because Adobe is getting pretty arrogant in their sense of market dominance, and they're squeezing us more and more for every penny they can. Makes me wish there were decent open-source applications that were accessible enough to make them clean up their act and start treating their users a little better.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

G_Town

David

I got the letter, too. But like most things I get from Quack, I delete it without reading it.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca