extract multiple page ranges in one go?

Started by wonderings, October 16, 2019, 02:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

Using Acrobat DC Pro, is it possible to extra multiple page ranges at once rather then do one range at a time? Have a bunch of election stuff that needs to be separated before print and it is super tedious doing each page range one at a time. Any way of typing in multiple page ranges and then having them all save as individual files with those page ranges?

Possum

Haven't tried it, but will it do it when you type in commas like other software? Like 12-15, 22-28, etc.?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

pabney

I don't know of any way to do it by page range numbers. However, you can put a top level bookmark at every split, which is pretty easy to do, then split by bookmarks.

Joe

I don't see any way to do it other than the way Pabney described unless you want to do it manually in the 'Organize Pages' area. You shift+click or command+click the pages you want to extract. Then click extract and then click the box for "Extract pages as separate files". This might get very tiresome if you have a lot of pages to extract though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

I would check the site Fiverr for someone to write you a custom script to do that.  Where you could tell them you want to put the page ranges in a text file, that the script can grab for the list.

I've used them before to do something similar, when I had a job where I had a PDF where pg 1 was portrait, then pgs 2 & 3 where landscape, and so on through the rest of the document. I had someone create a Python script that would rotate the landscape pages to portrait and insert a blank page of the same size after the rotated pages. Only cost $27. Well worth the money. Would have took me a lot more time to do it manually. And it was for sure to be done right, and not missed a page.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

DigiCorn

You can literally open the side panel, select the pages you want to extract and drag and drop them out to whatever location you want.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Yeah but it puts all of them you drag out into one PDF instead of individual PDF's.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Then you click on the little scissors icon to split... you're making this too hard
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

don't got no scissors

select the pages in the side bar, drag off to make a 2nd pdf, no scissors to split

#menogotnoscissors
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

wonderings

We used the extract button on the left hand side bar. That works fine for one extraction but not if I want to extra multiple in one go say:
1-500
501-1002
1003-2072
etc
etc
etc

We ended up doing that right in the printer itself in the end. I think they were worried about the rip handling such a large file. If we had to separate the individual sets we would have had around 200 sets to extract from the PDF which is why I was looking for one go rather then back and forth back and forth back and forth.

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on October 17, 2019, 12:03:32 PM
don't got no scissors

select the pages in the side bar, drag off to make a 2nd pdf, no scissors to split

#menogotnoscissors
<sigh> I guess I have to do everything around here.

Right-Click on the tool bar and select, "Customize Quick Tools." It has an icon of a little gear. Go to "Organize Pages," and then select "Split." It's the little scissors icon you so desperately crave. Click the up + arrow on the right column of the window to add it to your tool bar. You can organize and add other toolbar items as well. If you haven't done this before, I recommend also adding OUTPUT PREVIEW, PREFLIGHT, CONVERT COLORS, FLATTENER PREVIEW, ALIGN OBJECTS, ARRANGE OBJECTS, ADD OR EDIT WATERMARK and  ADD OR EDIT HEADER & FOOTER. If you don't have Pitstop, like I don't, these are handy to have.

That is unless you are a dweeb using Acrobat Reader in which NONE of these are available, but you're not a dweeb, are you?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

with the split (scissors) you have to tell it how many pages you want to split by
I don't think he was splitting into even sections.

Possum wins!

Tracy

Hmm he may have wanted even splits
digi wins! :laugh:

David

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 17, 2019, 01:25:44 PM
...but you're not a dweeb, are you?

I always wanted to be one, but sadly no, I'm not smart enough.

:lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.