Printer recommendations....

Started by Joe, March 22, 2017, 02:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Ughhhhhh....So after having been printer and hard proof free for 7 years it looks like we are going to need to be able to make hard copy contract proofs for jobs on the new press going in. Will need to be G7 or some type of certification. Looking for an inkjet. Probably in the 24" wide roll size. Any recommendations on a printer in the HP, Epson, Canon line and the RIP, ie...EFI XF, GMG, etc...?

I seriously am getting too old for new adventures like this. :old:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on March 22, 2017, 02:32:42 PMI seriously am getting too old for new adventures like this. :old:
I'm probably too old to even think about giving you advice on that. Well, other than my generic lack of knowledge.   ;D

Am somewhat embarrassed to admit it, but I turn 69 tomorrow. Embarrassed that I'm still working, I mean. I have to face a several-hurdle leap to latest OSX, new 64-bit XMF server, then hopefully a change to processless thermal via a re-badged.
Only thing holding it up is haggling , know-all in-charge types. The actual dealings with the vendor are simplicity itself.
It will, i think, do my head in once and for all.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on March 22, 2017, 02:32:42 PMUghhhhhh....So after having been printer and hard proof free for 7 years it looks like we are going to need to be able to make hard copy contract proofs for jobs on the new press going in. Will need to be G7 or some type of certification. Looking for an inkjet. Probably in the 24" wide roll size. Any recommendations on a printer in the HP, Epson, Canon line and the RIP, ie...EFI XF, GMG, etc...?

I seriously am getting too old for new adventures like this. :old:
The Oris ColorTuner/Web software tied to an Epson 9900 has been the proofing solution for us for the past 3 1/2 years for us. We got the Epson 9900 outfitted with an X-Rite Spectroproofer so it measures and prints out a certification confirmation on every proof. When we set up the system we were certified for G7 for CMYK, not spot colours. The setup was done by CGS, headquartered out of Chicago. I believe the chief tech's name is Bruce Brown - really knows his stuff. For the most part, it's been a pretty stable system. Re-calibrations are pretty easy with the click of a mouse button. We did have the calibration head on the spectro go for shit a couple of weeks ago, but the replacement part turned out to be pretty easy to put in. I only wish that we had more time to actually learn the inner workings of the software. The interface is easy enough to use, but I would have liked more time to learn about manipulating and building standards and queues. Service contract isn't that expensive and most software or file issues are dealt with remotely.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: frailer on March 22, 2017, 05:41:50 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 22, 2017, 02:32:42 PMI seriously am getting too old for new adventures like this. :old:
I'm probably too old to even think about giving you advice on that. Well, other than my generic lack of knowledge.  ;D

Am somewhat embarrassed to admit it, but I turn 69 tomorrow. Embarrassed that I'm still working, I mean. I have to face a several-hurdle leap to latest OSX, new 64-bit XMF server, then hopefully a change to processless thermal via a re-badged.
Only thing holding it up is haggling , know-all in-charge types. The actual dealings with the vendor are simplicity itself.

Well before I forget...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :bday: I just turned 62 a couple of weeks ago.

We are pretty well up to date on everything else but I haven't followed much about printers since we got rid of them. I think I'll nominate someone else to take the lead on this. I'm tired.

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on March 22, 2017, 06:23:14 PMThe Oris ColorTuner/Web software tied to an Epson 9900 has been the proofing solution for us for the past 3 1/2 years for us. We got the Epson 9900 outfitted with an X-Rite Spectroproofer so it measures and prints out a certification confirmation on every proof. When we set up the system we were certified for G7 for CMYK, not spot colours. The setup was done by CGS, headquartered out of Chicago. I believe the chief tech's name is Bruce Brown - really knows his stuff. For the most part, it's been a pretty stable system. Re-calibrations are pretty easy with the click of a mouse button. We did have the calibration head on the spectro go for shit a couple of weeks ago, but the replacement part turned out to be pretty easy to put in. I only wish that we had more time to actually learn the inner workings of the software. The interface is easy enough to use, but I would have liked more time to learn about manipulating and building standards and queues. Service contract isn't that expensive and most software or file issues are dealt with remotely.

Thanks for that info. I will check it out.

Possum

Well, happy birthday to both of you! I'm not far behind, I'll be 62 this summer.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

EmptyWords

I will second what andyfest laid out above, we are almost identical in setups, only differences are Fuji did the setup not CGS and we use a 7900 (24" wide), been rock solid and having the spectra onboard makes things so easy, prints out the cert on the final output and we know if we are in or out of G7 tolerance.

It's actually kinda weird how close andyfest and I are (almost exact setups Nexus/Oris/servers etc), I have the exact same complaints too about not enough time to learn the inner workings of the software, seems we could do a lot more with it that what we are currently doing.

When we looked at replacing our old proofer, we looked at a lot of other options, Canon and HP printers, GMG, EFI, Esko, Agfa etc in rips, but we kept coming back to the Espons, they really can't be beat for proofers and the rips really came down to GMG and CGS/Oris, they just were flat out better than anything we looked at, and I mean by a long shot, we chose the Oris software in the end, we just liked the user interface better than the GMG.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

Joe

Thanks EmptyWords....I'll take the "complaints too about not enough time to learn the inner workings of the software" as a positive. The less I have to do the better.

Joe

andyfest and EmptyWords...did you get the printer separately or get everything through CGS?

Joe

And another question about Oris ColorTuner/Web software which says 'Web-based Soft- and Hardcopy Proofing in one Package'. The web part says:

"The web-based client/server architecture enables ORIS Color Tuner // Web to be integrated easily and quickly within your existing workflow, independent of your operating system or web browser. A comprehensive set of workflow tools — such as automatic preflighting, file compression, FTP send & receive, regular expressions, or email notification — is included to make ORIS Color Tuner // Web a powerful production workflow in its own right.".

So that is a soft proofing option where customers can view the preflight info as well as color accurate proof over the web. I assume the customers would need a color calibrated monitor?

Farabomb

Happy B-day Captain! :bday:

There must have been a HUGE amount of fucking going on in June. I know a LOT of march babies and I happen to be one.

15 minutes from being a April fool. Most said I made it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

EmptyWords

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 10:37:21 AMandyfest and EmptyWords...did you get the printer separately or get everything through CGS?

We got our setup through Fuji, but CGS worked extensively with Fuji to pitch the sell, then was involved somewhat with the install, the Fuji guys were the ones who actually did the que setups and all the calibrations/certs. We liked getting everything through one source, our bean counters prefer to cut one check vs several.

Quote from: Joe on March 23, 2017, 10:42:03 AMAnd another question about Oris ColorTuner/Web software which says 'Web-based Soft- and Hardcopy Proofing in one Package'. The web part says:

"The web-based client/server architecture enables ORIS Color Tuner // Web to be integrated easily and quickly within your existing workflow, independent of your operating system or web browser. A comprehensive set of workflow tools — such as automatic preflighting, file compression, FTP send & receive, regular expressions, or email notification — is included to make ORIS Color Tuner // Web a powerful production workflow in its own right.".

So that is a soft proofing option where customers can view the preflight info as well as color accurate proof over the web. I assume the customers would need a color calibrated monitor?

They do have a softproof option, can't remember off the top of my head if that was an add-on or not, we never had it setup or ever even looked into the use of it, maybe andyfest can shed some more light on that subject, but they would have to have a calibrated monitor, I do remember them talking about that and they even told me at the time what specific monitors they prefer the clients use.
Esko Automation Engine  •  Imaging Engine  •  Nexus  •  Odystar  •  Neo  •  ArtPro  •  ArtPro+ Layout
Esko ArtPro+ Advanced  •  ArtPro+ Essentials  •  Esko PowerStepper/PowerLayout  •  Kodak Preps 8
Hyphen ImpoProof 8400S  •  CGS Oris ColorTuner // Web  •  Epson Stylus Pro 7900  •  Apogee Prepress
Agfa/Screen Avalon  •  Xerox iGen  •  Versant 180  •  Iridesse  •  Mark Andy  •  Heidelberg  •  Kirk-Rudy

Joe

We already have Kodak Insite so I probably wouldn't be interested in theirs. I just didn't want to pay for something we won't use so if it is an addon that we don't have to get that would be great.

Good news about Fuji doing it. We already get plates from them so we do have an existing relationship with them.

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on March 22, 2017, 07:36:10 PM
Quote from: frailer on March 22, 2017, 05:41:50 PM
I'm probably too old to even think about giving you advice on that. Well, other than my generic lack of knowledge.  ;D

Well before I forget...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :bday: I just turned 62 a couple of weeks ago.

We are pretty well up to date on everything else but I haven't followed much about printers since we got rid of them. I think I'll nominate someone else to take the lead on this. I'm tired.
Happy Birthday to all. I'm a little behind as I'll be a youngish 59 this summer.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe