News:

Main Menu

XMF Remote

Started by Diddler, January 31, 2012, 11:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diddler

G'Day crew, just wanting see if anyone out there is using XMF Remote?  I just seen the demo and must say that I'm pretty impressed with the functionality of it all. It's  something that our shop does not need now. But with a view to adapting new strategies in an ever changing market It could be a big draw card for us.  So basically just wanted to see what people who are using it think?  Has it created more problems or solved more problems? Take you time in answering, as this is my last day of shift and have the next 4 off. (drinking, fishing, surfing, camping on Stradbroke Island where Phone/Net coverage is Crap at the best of times).  So see you next Monday, look forward to the replies.  :surfer:
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Saw the demo at PrintEx, Sydney. We're a way off too, being mainly in-house work. Our lot thinks FTP is pretty flash.   :sarcasm:

Not too many XMF users other side of the Pacific. ImpoDave, in Missouri, uses it. earendil in the PNW uses Sierra, a re-badge.

Hey, post some picks when you get back. Pretty soggy Hot/sunny up your way, by the looks.

haha... just saw your post elsewhere. Amended
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

pworden

I definitely took my time answering... sure you're back at work by now!
We've had XMF Remote for some time now. Overall, it's pretty good but I've given Fuji some feedback for improvement and so far I've been pretty impressed with updates to XMF and expect the same for XMF Remote.

Good:
Customers can navigate without any instruction. That's really important.
They don't always notice that they can turn colors on and off, use an eyedropper, or realize that they really should approve a page and request changes at the same time, but that's usually the difference between graphic pros and "designers".
Really easy to set up your workflow to hold proofs and plate rendering until pages are approved.
Nice that you can add a customer's logo to their "site" - makes them feel special.
You can customize notifications sent to customers and customize which ones are sent.
... and *, below.

Not so good:
The files the customer views are totally raster, so aren't clear as a bell like PDFs, BUT, many customers don't notice or care about that.
The raster files show exact color in the eyedropper readings, but the on-screen view color is off. We all know that judging color on a monitor varies, but this varies quite a bit compared to viewing the same file as an unrasterized PDF on the same monitor. I had one customer that downloaded his proof file, opened it, took screen shots and sent it back to me. I think it's a profile issue but haven't discovered a way to alter that.
Downloading the java applet can annoy; I send users instructions to set their browsers so it's unnoticeable, but am concerned how they'll react to that in wake of the Mac trojans.
It won't email a user their password when they forget it, or auto-create a password for new users. We have to get notice from them that they want it, and create the account for them.

Be sure to turn the spots to process if they're intended to print as process, for proofs BEFORE posting online.

That said, I'm really glad we have it. * It saves us time making PDFs low-res enough to send as proofs, OR uploading high-res PDFs for our customers to download. For me, that's the big ticket item that makes XMF Remote important here.
Commercial Sheetfed Offset  + Digital; XMF, Trendsetter, XMF Remote, Xerox digital, XMPie, Heidelberg SM74, Epson 9600, HP5500 Spinjet, IQ-Smart, X-Rite CMM.

frailer

Haven't really pursued it much here, as it's not really in our needs tray right now. It may be in time. Can certainly see the advantages of not having to send downsized PDFs. Plus rendered integrity. Sounds like the usual 'customer competency' issues in there...   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

fummchumm

Virtually all our customers now use Remote (700+) and can honestly say that we couldn't cope without it. Java version was problematic (Oracle issues not Fuji). New HTML5 version has solved most irratations of customers struggling to use it. Ps Reps love to demo it in smartphone  :rolleyes: