HELP! CREEP is bugging me!

Started by delooch, October 25, 2007, 01:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

so this is the first time this came up since using CS2..

Im working on an 18-month calendar, saddle stitched (20 spreads, 10 press sheets).  - 100# gloss coated book

How do i figure out the creep adjustment when building the spreads? Im just doing the layout, and we are outsourcing the print job. I shouldnt assume their prepress guy is going to do it for me.

I built it on 8.5x11 facing pages, then im using inbooklet to build the spreads.  Id like to supply the printer with pre-built spreads so there are no surprises.

should i even worry about it on 10 sheets?

delooch

not to keep rambling on, but what determines the creep value? would it be the thickness of 10 sheets?

born2print

Hey delooch, the textbook says:
page count x caliper(thickness of paper, like .004") / 4.

I SAY:
Page count x caliper / 2 and round down if at all.

BUT to answer you more directly, your "creep" is prolly around .05" (Thinner than 2 human hairs) which is too minute to worry about (for most / normal type of jobs)

hope this helps 8)
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

You really can't do creep if there are crossovers without screwing up the crossover. If it's too close to the trim make your live area smaller. Oh, and yeah, I agree with B2P. You don't need it anyway for 10 sheets unless it's heavy duty cardboard.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Quote from: born2print on October 25, 2007, 03:32:34 PMyour "creep" is prolly around .05" (Thinner than 2 human hairs)

depends on the color of the hair...

blonde hair is thinner, around .003"
black hair is coarser at around .005",

and of course, it depends on where the hair is located at, some is thicker than others.

and, to get back on topic...
I agree with Born, you don't have enough paper thickness to worry about creep.

Just don't put any objects too close to the face trim edge of the page and you'll be alright.

my .02,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Quote from: david on October 26, 2007, 07:09:05 AM
Quote from: born2print on October 25, 2007, 03:32:34 PMyour "creep" is prolly around .05" (Thinner than 2 human hairs)
and of course, it depends on where the hair is located at, some is thicker than others.
Of course :-[ 8)

Goodgulf

The way we measure creep is to put a book together with the actual stock it is running on.  In this case 10 sheets of 100# text the creep is 3/32nds.

my 2 cents
Let's Eat

born2print

Quote from: Goodgulf on October 26, 2007, 09:45:29 AMThe way we measure creep is to put a book together with the actual stock it is running on.  In this case 10 sheets of 100# text the creep is 3/32nds.

my 2 cents

We used to call that a "dummy" back in the old days when we could wait for them, now I use the formula 99% of the time. "Progress" ::)

David

We use a stock dummy to this day.
We will measure it and using an excel spreadsheet to do the calculations.

easy schemezzy!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

You guys are creeping me out. lol

Born's right about the figures, but I wouldn't think you'd need to creep something that small.

And as far as the hairs go, we use a standard hair measurement system that consists of 2 different thicknesses: BCH (thick) and RCH (thin)... i.e. "Dude, move it a BCH" or "eeh, just move it an RCH"... B stands for Black, R stands for Red... You figure the rest out.   :ninja:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

delooch

i dont really do much saddle stitching setups, so i dont mess with creep much. good time to figure it out though, thanks for all the input guys..