Poll: Work Lighting

Started by ninjaPB_43, December 03, 2018, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What style of desk/office lighting is your preferred space?  (Mark all that apply)

Ambient Lighting
2 (16.7%)
Task Lighting
2 (16.7%)
Accent Lighting
0 (0%)
Desk lamp - please specify bulb wattage and color in comments and why
1 (8.3%)
Overhead (Recessed or bulb)
1 (8.3%)
Overhead (Typical fluorescent)
5 (41.7%)
Candlelight
1 (8.3%)
Daylight
3 (25%)
No light other than my computer
5 (41.7%)
No preference
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

pspdfppdfxhd

All this trouble then the client looks at the proof under totally different lighting and its approved under those circumstances.

When the color expert came in here he showed me a gray balanced proof under about 5 different lighting scenarios and they all looked different.

StudioMonkey

I voted Daylight as my preferred option because that gives the best colour balance.  Where I used to work we had those fancy daylight bulbs but they are expensive and the secretary thought they would be like a tanning bed (she used to use them in her office).

Having said all that, most places I have worked just have regular overhead fluorescents.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

David

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on December 06, 2018, 07:38:58 AMAll this trouble then the client looks at the proof under totally different lighting and its approved under those circumstances.

When the color expert came in here he showed me a gray balanced proof under about 5 different lighting scenarios and they all looked different.

Metamerism at it's finest.
It's all about the light.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

We used to have a client, manufactured "stone" facade
In spite of knowing better, and being coached, etc...
they INSISTED they had to compare color vs. product outside in daylight. :ohno:

me: did they like the color?
CSR: No, they need to come back tomorrow, too cloudy today
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Kermy812

We use all overhead 500k bulbs..

motormount

Typical fluorescent mixed with daylight.

A LOT OF DAYLIGHT.

The longest side of the room has huge windows looking north - north west.

In the afternoon we draw the ''curtains'' down  - not sure how they call those rolls in English -

The lights are warm, but because of the daylight they seem less warm than usual.

Colleagues work on imacs, and i on a hacintosh with a 27inch ultra sharp, factory calibrated...

Funny thing is the majority of jobs are processed very carefully, we keep printed records for reprints etc.

Funnier is that when we have a problem or a doubt we go all over the place to find the right spot to estimate the color look...

Even funnier the thing works, so why argue?

Tracy

I think they're called shades over here in san diego

Farabomb

Light? When I was in prepress we were treated like mushrooms. Kept in the dark and fed shit.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: motormount on December 09, 2018, 11:31:55 AMIn the afternoon we draw the ''curtains'' down  - not sure how they call those rolls in English -
Depends on the style. Curtains are usually the hanging heavy fabric. Shades are the rolls that have the self-curling spring inside. Blinds are the slats that open and close with a rod.

Quote from: motormount on December 09, 2018, 11:31:55 AMA LOT OF DAYLIGHT.
[redacted]
Funnier is that when we have a problem or a doubt we go all over the place to find the right spot to estimate the color look...
When I want dead on balls accurate color, I check outside in the sunlight.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 11, 2018, 12:05:05 PMWhen I want dead on balls accurate color, I check outside in the sunlight.

I'm in Michigan. We have to depend on the artificial light, as you never know when you're gonna see the sun. Especially this time of year. I'm so not used to it, I stay away from the windows...during the day time hours.  :blind: 
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

motormount

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 11, 2018, 12:05:05 PMWhen I want dead on balls accurate color, I check outside in the sunlight.

ok, that's why 5500k lamps are called daylight, but even if you are not working in Michigan you might need dead on balls accuracy late in the afternoon, so you'd better have proper office lighting than waiting for the sun to move straight up over your head!

ps Thanks for the shades - Tracy too -  :)

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: motormount on December 12, 2018, 12:29:26 PMok, that's why 5500k lamps are called daylight, but even if you are not working in Michigan you might need dead on balls accuracy late in the afternoon, so you'd better have proper office lighting than waiting for the sun to move straight up over your head!

Exactly. Also, many times press checks come at night. I'm pretty sure no one, client or printer, want to say - y'know what? Put that press on idle until the sun comes out - I gotta look at this thing outside.  :facepalm:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

I appreciate everyone's feedback - it's about what I expected (mix of overhead and none other than cpu), but good to have actual (albeit small) sampling of real world examples. So, thanks! and Cheers.  :ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?