Preps 7: vignettes not imposing properly

Started by DPSprint, May 28, 2017, 07:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

We're using Preps 8. Looks and acts just like 7. And 6.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DPSprint

LOL... so lots more bang for your buck then?

Farabomb

Someone's getting banged but I'm certain it's not Kodak.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Well we have Prinergy 8 and Preps 8 comes with it.

DPSprint

Joe

Refresh my memory...how are these vignettes being created?

DPSprint

They were supplied Pdfs, so at a guess Indesign... but i dont think that was the issue as when the pdf was imposed in indesign the vignette was perfect, seemed to just be a preps issue. And they never did answer any request I sent.

Its just something i have to be aware of when visually checking the imposed files... yet one more thing.

oddly enough i had to send another request to them as I cant change my email on the kodak partner place site (albeit another department so maybe that is why they actually replied), and they got back to me today! OMG I almost fell out of my seat when i saw the email...

DigiCorn

The problem lies in imposing a native pdf that has not ben rasterized first.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 25, 2017, 02:13:28 PMThe problem lies in imposing a native pdf that has not ben rasterized first.

Ummm...what? Why would you ever want to rasterize a PDF?

DPSprint

yeah that is my last resort but usually preps is not the issue, more like the RIP the file is going to.
This was an oddity, although it has happened a couple of times. Flattening the file fixes it but only if you know it is going to happen before hand.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on September 25, 2017, 02:17:17 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on September 25, 2017, 02:13:28 PMThe problem lies in imposing a native pdf that has not ben rasterized first.

Well, put it through a RIP, or flatten it. I know Prinergy keeps it vector until the platemaking stage. Sometimes rasterizing is the only way to solve the problem as a workaround for other devices or equipment that can't handle certain items within the pdf.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

With today's modern workflows (even my old ass version of prinergy) you want to flatten as a last resort. It can work just fine at times and it can also cause issues. I do try and fix things the "right" way and find out why it happened but the boss tends to not care as long as it prints and the customer doesn't mind.

Okay, back when we actually did some printing.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 26, 2017, 09:38:13 AM
Quote from: Joe on September 25, 2017, 02:17:17 PM

Well, put it through a RIP, or flatten it. I know Prinergy keeps it vector until the platemaking stage. Sometimes rasterizing is the only way to solve the problem as a workaround for other devices or equipment that can't handle certain items within the pdf.

Oh OK. As a very last resort maybe but this problem is happening before it ever gets to a RIP. It is happening only when she puts it through Preps 7 which makes me thinks the designer is doing something funky with the way it is being created.

And there are much better ways to flatten something instead of rasterizing it.

DPSprint

OMG... how ironic... just got another one!
And funny enough this one i have the original indesign files for, which is good as their pdf file is playing up so I have remade it with my settings... and the vignette thing is happening.
One thing i can see now is that it only appears to affect text with a multicoloured gradient fill, not shapes like boxes., as its not affecting them in this new file.

Its an oddity cos I cant see anything wrong with the fill, the font is avenir black, it is a truetype font but I dont know if that would be an issue.
At least I know that ps the file will fix it now... just frustrating it happens in preps and probably a fluke that I happened to be reading this thread again and noticed it in the imposed file.

David

just curious...  is the vignette in question rotated perhaps?

I know preps has had issues in the past (distant past, haven't used it in a year) with rotated items not "holding".
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca