Do I have to remap 0% "Gray Color" to 100% K black?

Started by Made in Taiwan, March 05, 2015, 12:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattbeals

Quote from: Farabomb on March 09, 2015, 08:58:09 AMNo, he named the PMS color so I know what it should look like. It's likely he doesn't know where it is either and is just trying to back us into a corner in case we don't match exactly.

Use an action list to put those objects onto a separate layer. Use that to show him.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

That is a damn good idea. We have convinced them that it needs to be a PMS, the 4c ends up being one of those that does not match well. The PMS is 662 and should be a dark blue and the 4c match ends up more of a purple.

I'm still going to try that just so I can lean how to do it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

abc

Much easier with 12 update 3 as we added a load of stuff related to working with layers!

Farabomb

Figures, I have a file in now that layers might help but I haven't had a chance to read up or try anything.

Platemaker is down, swamped, pressmen are having issues with the new plates, the AGFA tech is late and all the jobs today are rush jobs.

I hate printing.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Worse than normal, nothing at all is going right.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

abc

Quote from: Farabomb on March 11, 2015, 09:43:19 AMFigures, I have a file in now that layers might help but I haven't had a chance to read up or try anything.

to avoid confusion layers in Acrobat are not like layers in other Adobe applications. I wish they hadn't called them that.
Officially they are 'Optional Content Groups' or 'OCGs"

Made in Taiwan

I've been playing now for a while with this black/gray. Remapping works fine. For the RGB blacks I'll go with a combination of "Clean up RGB black" and remap afterwards. But if I set it to overprint, it still shows up as a knockout after the change. Feels like during the output to PDF, Word just gives the element below the text a new shape just around the text (actually I didn't, it just feels like). I've ran the original "Improve my office document" Quick Run from Enfocus and I get the same result. Is there any way to fill up the white areas? Otherwise I can skip this step to set the black text to overprint.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

mattbeals

Device gray cannot overprint. K of cmyk can, separation black can. But not device gray.
Matt Beals

Made in Taiwan

I've remapped it to100%K but it still doesn't overprint.

swampymarsh

Is it set to Illustrator Overprint Mode 0 or 1 (OPM=0)?

How are you determining that the object is not overprinting out and is knocking out?

Do you have a sample file for inspection?

Made in Taiwan

OPM = 0. I check the separations preview, and if I uncheck black, you can see the black text disappear and where it was before, afterwards it's white. 

Sample files are here: 
Before: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vV6_zsh9xXem9NdWNQZlhUZ00/view?usp=sharing
After: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4vV6_zsh9xXMFZiUmpwUWpzNkU/view?usp=sharing

Joe

Run this global change to get the black to overprint.

[attachimg=1]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.