autofit text to frame?

Started by delooch, September 19, 2019, 09:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

Is there a way to auto-size type to fit the frame? I know you can do it with placed objects...

David

QuoteTo access the Auto-size options, do the following:
Select a text frame and choose Object > Text Frame Options.
Click Auto-size. ...
Select an auto size option to apply when text is added or deleted: ...
From the anchor proxy, click a reference location to resize from.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

almost, this changes the text box to match the size of the text,

what i have is a pre-defined text box dimension, and i need the text to drop a few points to fit the existing box.

Its an automated business card template (VDP), but the emails are long and need to be adjusted manually. Im hoping to find a way so that the text (not the frame) is reduced to fit on its own.

unless im missing something here..

David

I know you can do it inside an acrobat form text field, but apparently it can only be done in Indesign with a script.
There are issues with it scaling the leading, tracking, font size etc.

Haven't found one yet...

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

scottrsimons

I have done it with some variable data jobs. It is done with some GREP searches. I can't find the job at this point, but I remember it was quite a bit of work to make it work. Not easy nor fun.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

You can manually do it by holding down the COMMAND key and dragging a corner of the box. Or hold down SHIFT+COMMAND while dragging a corner of the box to make the text resize proportionately.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

Quote from: Joe on September 19, 2019, 03:54:29 PM
You can manually do it by holding down the COMMAND key and dragging a corner of the box. Or hold down SHIFT+COMMAND while dragging a corner of the box to make the text resize proportionately.

This is much closer, if i could just automate it.  Looks like im reading about scripts this weekend.

Tracy

Share what you find out! Thanks for doing the reading for us!! :D

jwheeler

Meadows makes an InDesign plugin called DesignMerge. It's like DataMerge on steroids. It has a text fitting function. What's nice about this software is that it will automatically split up the data into smaller batches when sending to your RIP so it doesn't clog it up. It also has some more advanced VDP options like changing the font or colors of text, backgrounds, etc based on rules you define. Here's a link to more info: http://www.meadowsps.com/site/details/designmerge_detail.htm

If your company happens to have Konica Minolta gear, they also sell the same software under a different name "EngageIT VDP": https://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/kmbs/business-solutions/graphic-communications/variable-data-printing-solutions

Slappy

It looks like their CopyFit portion is available as a standalone too, only $225 which is pretty reasonable.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.