convert embedded image to CMYK in Indesign?

Started by wonderings, November 12, 2019, 07:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wonderings

As the title asks, is there a way to convert an embedded file that is RGB to CMYK in the latest version of Indesign?

Just_A_Mac_Guy

If you are never going to get the original file, You can copy the content of the image box, Go to Photoshop - create a new file - (it should open to the dimensions of your copied data and paste. Save as a new image, convert to CMYK. (Your milage may vary and you get what you get.

born2print

Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

wonderings

Quote from: Just_A_Mac_Guy on November 12, 2019, 11:23:22 AM
If you are never going to get the original file, You can copy the content of the image box, Go to Photoshop - create a new file - (it should open to the dimensions of your copied data and paste. Save as a new image, convert to CMYK. (Your milage may vary and you get what you get.

Don't think I am going to get the original file. Think the copy into Photoshop will be my only option.

I can make a PDF and just convert all to CMYK but I want my working file to be CMYK so I can skip that step every time I make a export as PDF for a proof.

Slappy

Convert to CMYK when exporting from inDesign?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

EyeTech

If the original file is PDF open it in Acrobat Pro or DC, hit Edit PDF, select the pic and Edit Original. This should import into PShop with ACR followed by some alphanumeric as a file name, change the colour mode to CMYK mode and tweak curves as required then simply Save and Close. The file should then be reimported into your PDF as CMYK.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

StudioMonkey

If you don't have Acrobat Pro, open the PDF in PhotoShop, extract the picture and convert the picture to CMYK - now you have a CMYK version of the picture to place in InDesign.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

wonderings

I have a working Indesign file from the customer, it was a bit of a nightmare and when I thought I had cleaned everything up I was stuck with 2 images that were embedded. I did convert the PDF after, was just hoping there was a simple way of converting an embedded file in Indesign, seems there is not.

Tracy

You can make a Device CMYK pdf, here is my settings to make a Device CMYK pdf
also were you able to unembed the image?

wonderings

I know I can export and convert to CMYK, I was hoping to actually fix the specific embedded file. I cannot unembed as I do not have the supporting file. Seems exporting and converting is the only option. Not a huge deal, just a pet peeve of mine.