Mac not refreshing finder windows on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, August 07, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey guys, I'm hoping one of you can help with this.

We stopped using AFP a while ago... June maybe? Yep June. Anyway, Within the last week, we've been experiencing issues with the SMB share. Finder windows aren't refreshing their contents anymore. Files that have been deleted on one workstation are still showing up on the other (Yet don't open if double clicked). Compressed files of any sort can no longer be un-compressed on the SMB share. They have to be done on the desktop. Excel files have to be worked on from the desktop as they will sometimes randomly delete themselves upon saving - this is a huge issue for us until our shop switches to the MIS system... Seriously we've been doing cost sheets and everything from Excel documents for decades - 2 of them I think. Another issue is that Illustrator (mostly) warns that files have been modified outside of illustrator upon saving a file.

Anyone have any idea how to fix any of this?
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

What OS and version is the SMB shares running under?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

Both workstations are iMac's running 10.12.6. The server is a LaCie 5Big NAS running NAS OS Firmware 4.3.15.1.

Joe

Is the NAS using SMB1 or SMB 2/3? SMB1 is old but a lot of legacy hardware manufacturers either won't or can't upgrade the SMB version via firmware which makes then a little wonky with newer OS versions that want to use SMB2/3.

If it only started in the last week though....has there been any Mac OS updates or firmware updates on the NAS.

If nothing has been updated I would unshare the NAS shares and then re-create them and see if you still see the issues.

AaronH

There were security updates to the Macs this last week. Mine was last week on Friday and the other was yesterday. I don't know what the updates specifically were for though besides a security update.

I'll have to see about unsharing the NAS shares when the office isn't using it.

AaronH

It looks like the NAS SMB version is Samba 4.6.1.

Edit... Samba is 4.6.1 and SMB is version 3.

AaronH

Update. The firmware on the file server was also updated (By me for shame) last Friday. Our shop was hit with a pretty nasty thunderstorm and I was called in to work at 5:30 in the morning to help get it going. Since no one comes in until 8 or so for the office staff (no one else accesses the server), I figured I'd finally get around to updating the server firmware. it didn't mention anything regarding SMB in any of the updates. I still can't find anything regarding an SMB change in the update logs.

From what I'm reading on the net though, apple's had a lot of issues with SMB in the Sierra and older days and some people had better luck with High Sierra and Mohave. Is this true?

I've tried looking for help on LaCie's website but they're pretty much defunct now that Seagate owns them.

Joe

I'm running Mojave and using SMB and I don't have the issues you are seeing. However, and isn't there always a however, the network browser in Mohave sucks ass. When you open a Finder window and click the Network icon in the left sidebar you may or may not get a list of network computers. If you wait long enough you may finally get the list. You may not. Just make sure to create a hosts file on all Macs pointing to any computers you need to network with. If not you will have a lot of problems. Then use the 'Connect to Server...' option under the Finder 'Go' menu and connect either via the IP address or computer name, ie...smb://ipaddress or smb://computername.

AaronH

Alright. Thanks for the heads up. I'll see about upgrading to Mojave in the near future.

DigiCorn

I am also running Mojave and our NAS server is an SMB share. I bookmarked this for some reason; can't really remember why. Maybe it will help?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208209
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Thanks Digicorn I'll have to check that out.

In the meantime, I've upgraded to Mojave. XMF works fine and everything else is working. I'm still unable to unzip files on the share. I've tried unzipping in the folder I drag into the smb (while on the smb) and I've tried in a folder I make new on the smb and neither works I get the same error.

Joe

I assume you are double clicking the zip file to unzip which uses the Mac unarchiver or some such thing. Try downloading WinRAR and see if it will unzip it to the share:

https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

AaronH

Alright. I'll have to see how that works. I don't see an app in it. Do I need to use terminal to get it to work?

I am able to use Stuffit Expander on the share so I'll probably just need to switch to that.

Joe

Oooh....sorry about that. Looks like that is command line only for the Mac OS. I'd use Stuffit since that is working for you.

AaronH

Well somethings work on SMB. I can't eject the shared volume without force ejecting it (which gives a warning that it may damage files on the share - yay). My coworker also can't delete things even though we use the same admin account on the network. It has full read and write access. We've tried different admin accounts as well with the same issues. I can generally delete stuff though.

Unmounting and remounting as AFP though, produces issues where PDFs generated out of XMF can't be opened properly in Acrobat. We get popups saying something about an invalid hex string of characters or something of that nature and it locks up Acrobat.

I've tried making a new user on the iMac and it has the exact same issues as the old iMac user so I know it isn't a corrupted user profile on the Macs. None of the Windows machines have any issues connecting or deleting files so they're good with their connections. I just don't know what to do.