Batch Convert to CMYK?

Started by Clever Endeavor, July 27, 2011, 07:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clever Endeavor

Haha, will do.

I think I spoke too soon as far is it coming out perfectly.  The black looks very, very good.  The images, however, still look screened a bit.  What's up with that.  For variety, Here are two different photos.  One in RGB, and one in the CMYK with the new black.  Any ideas how to eliminate that wash out?

http://www.kineticvineyard.com/media/Book-Sample-CMYK-3.pdf - NWS

http://www.kineticvineyard.com/media/Book-Sample-RGB-3.pdf - NWS

The second page is identical regardless of processing, so that turned out well.  Niki Crypt (the fire-redhead) is a fade to black photo on the left, so I put in a black shadow box on the bottom center to soften the transition.  In the CMYK version it's clearly visible.  In the RGB version, the screen is clear.

So here's my last big question:  If I just submit this PDF as RGB will it turn out correctly?  I don't want to go through all of the pages and color correct everything if I don't have to.

If you keep helping, I'll keep uploading the "good" ones.

gnubler

Prepress pron. Sure wish I could click! But I'm at work, in prepress...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

delooch

click it! it is work related, you are "helping your peers"

Joe

Quote from: Clever Endeavor on July 28, 2011, 04:12:12 PMHaha, will do.

I think I spoke too soon as far is it coming out perfectly.  The black looks very, very good.  The images, however, still look screened a bit.  What's up with that.  For variety, Here are two different photos.  One in RGB, and one in the CMYK with the new black.  Any ideas how to eliminate that wash out?

http://www.kineticvineyard.com/media/Book-Sample-CMYK-3.pdf - NWS

http://www.kineticvineyard.com/media/Book-Sample-RGB-3.pdf - NWS

The second page is identical regardless of processing, so that turned out well.  Niki Crypt (the fire-redhead) is a fade to black photo on the left, so I put in a black shadow box on the bottom center to soften the transition.  In the CMYK version it's clearly visible.  In the RGB version, the screen is clear.

So here's my last big question:  If I just submit this PDF as RGB will it turn out correctly?  I don't want to go through all of the pages and color correct everything if I don't have to.

If you keep helping, I'll keep uploading the "good" ones.

It's clearly visible because it has a value of 0 0 0 100 CMYK. What value did you assign it when you created it. If you have pitstop it's easy enough to change it to 80 60 60 100. Just remember to do it for both the fill and stroke because the box does have a stroke around it.

What do you have in these PDF output settings?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Quote from: Clever Endeavor on July 28, 2011, 03:30:55 PMI'm going to knock out this cover, add my crop marks, and prepare to upload.

What exactly do you mean by this? You shouldn't need to add crop marks manually - do it in the PDF Export dialog.

Quote from: Clever Endeavor on July 28, 2011, 04:12:12 PMSo here's my last big question:  If I just submit this PDF as RGB will it turn out correctly?  I don't want to go through all of the pages and color correct everything if I don't have to.

I thought the whole point of this thread was how to batch convert images to CMYK, and now you want to leave them RGB? If you're printing on a digital press, then you can probably be safe leaving it as RGB. Best bet is to ask the folks at the establishment that is actually printing it.

The problem with the gradient area under the middle picture is your black again. You need to be consistent in the blacks you choose. If the background is Rich Black, then you gradient needs to start as Rich Black and fade to transparent.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

gnubler

Quote from: delooch on July 28, 2011, 04:28:42 PMclick it! it is work related, you are "helping your peers"

I use that excuse for this forum, in general. I don't go much further beyond it while on the clock. B4P is pretty much the entire internet for me nowadays.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

mattbeals

No, it may not come out correct if you leave it as RGB. You would have to setup the RIP to "correctly" first (through a lot of testing) and then you would be "safe" (so long as you are sure it will always give the desired results). So yeah, it's pretty relatively "safe".
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on July 28, 2011, 03:19:59 PM[High Quality Print] settings will not convert your RGB images to CMYK. I use [Press Quality] settings if you want them converted to CMYK.

I think Adobe's default "Press Quality" settings use JPG compression - I don't use it. I created my own PDF settings with ZIP compression.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on July 29, 2011, 08:07:29 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 28, 2011, 03:19:59 PM[High Quality Print] settings will not convert your RGB images to CMYK. I use [Press Quality] settings if you want them converted to CMYK.

I think Adobe's default "Press Quality" settings use JPG compression - I don't use it. I created my own PDF settings with ZIP compression.

Yes, that's true. In fact I think all of the default settings use jpeg compression so I modify them for zip compression as well.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.