News:

Main Menu

Adding noise

Started by DigiCorn, March 19, 2012, 08:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I have a new customer the boss is very paranoid about for some reason. The cover of their brochure is a yellow-green gradient at an angle. It's created in ID, and uses two swatches CMYK at an odd angle. I told him that since we don't use a curve here and plate everything linear it won't band, but he insists it will band, and wants to make sure we don't have to re-plate later. Now I'm recreating in PS, but he's got me so rattled I'm not sure how much noise to add. Does anyone have a "fallback standard," they use?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Skryber

I've always used 2-3 noise.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

same here
just enough to soften or break it up, but not enough to show the noise.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

I went with 2.5%. Did the trick.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Plating using FM screening (Chrystal raster, Stacatto, etc...) if you have the option can help avoid the Noid too... sometimes there can be 1 optical break where a color like cyan hits 50% with conventional screening.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

I use the Scott Ian/Flava Flav filter to "Bring the Noise"... cuz it's the wax that the Terminator X spun.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Yeeeeeah boooooyie!

Scott Ian RULZ! \w/
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

wha?
I mowed my lawn...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

FLA-VO FLAAAAAAV!!!!!!!!!

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on March 19, 2012, 01:07:25 PMWhat a brotha know
No DCS... but I have Ear to riff wif.

Now they got me in a cell,
'cuz my records they sell
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Farrakhan's a prophet that I think you wanna listen to, what he can say to you, what you autta do, follow for now, power to the people say

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on March 19, 2012, 01:30:26 PMFarrakhan's a prophet that I think you wanna listen to, what he can say to you, what you autta do, follow for now, power to the people say
Make a miracle

D, Pump the lyrical
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway