Mac Photoshop CS6

Started by DigiCorn, July 09, 2013, 09:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on July 30, 2013, 10:23:32 AMI have a pretty big photoshop job and I suck at photoshop
lots of effects and text
can you replace fonts like in indesign?
It seems it will replace the font with what it wants to replace it with
How can I replace fonts without selecting the text?

Select the layers containing the missing font. Open the character pallet and change the font from the missing font to the font you want to use. It will prompt that the font will be substituted for each layer. That is about the easiest way I can come up with to change all of them at one time...sort of.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 10, 2013, 01:52:22 PMnevermind - applejack fixed it

We are on 10.6.8 here at work. I dread the day we no longer can use the 'jack.   :sad:  My comadra's 27" iMac regularly freezes/unresponsive mouse etc. I button off and restart via the 'jack. TechToolPro shows nothing wrong at any time.   :banghead:
Onyx it will have to be when the time comes, but I don't know of a Single User startup/cleanser that works with later OSXs.
Joe, if you ever hear about anything...  Does the applejack guy have plans?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on July 30, 2013, 05:26:29 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on July 10, 2013, 01:52:22 PMnevermind - applejack fixed it

We are on 10.6.8 here at work. I dread the day we no longer can use the 'jack.   :sad:  My comadra's 27" iMac regularly freezes/unresponsive mouse etc. I button off and restart via the 'jack. TechToolPro shows nothing wrong at any time.   :banghead:
Onyx it will have to be when the time comes, but I don't know of a Single User startup/cleanser that works with later OSXs.
Joe, if you ever hear about anything...  Does the applejack guy have plans?

Applejack is done.

QuoteAppleJack is not supported past Snow Leopard (10.6.x). There are no plans to keep developing it. There is a 10.7 compatible version in CVS if you care to download and install, but this is the end of the line (from this developer anyway). Thanks for your interest.

For a complete read from the developer: http://sourceforge.net/p/applejack/discussion/271611/thread/e2bee929/

frailer

Hmmm... "Thanks for your interest". kinda says it all.   :sad:

His reply in Pane #4 is a good sum up. He was da man, and very philosophical about it now.

Forgive my neo-Luddite tendencies here, and to prepare me for life under later OSXs, could you expand on this for an old guy, Joe?   :cheesy:

QuoteMac OS X recovery partition takes care of that.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on July 30, 2013, 05:51:12 PMHmmm... "Thanks for your interest". kinda says it all.   :sad:

His reply in Pane #4 is a good sum up. He was da man, and very philosophical about it now.

Forgive my neo-Luddite tendencies here, and to prepare me for life under later OSXs, could you expand on this for an old guy, Joe?   :cheesy:

When 10.7 or 10.8 are installed it creates a hidden partition on your hard drive. If you need to re-install the OS or repair your disk you just boot into the recovery partition. From there you can run Disk Utility or re-install the OS or restore from a time machine backup. Be forewarned though if you choose to re-install the OS it has to have a DHCP network connection to the internet and download the plus 4 GB install of Mac OS X unless you have the install files on a USB disk attached to the Mac.

My video problems have returned on my 27" iMac plus the hard drive died last week. Booting into the Drive Genius software shows my HD is now 0 KB in size and can't be fixed. So it's back to the Apple Repair facility on Thursday and I will probably be without it for another 4 weeks or so. Last time it was there they damaged the display. It has fingerprints on it that won't come off along some some scratches and scrapes and I told them I wanted that replaced too. They would be money ahead to just replace the whole iMac with another one but they are too stubborn to do that. Luckily I still have my trusty 2006 iMac that still chugs along pretty good.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2013, 04:54:36 PMSelect the layers containing the missing font. Open the character pallet and change the font from the missing font to the font you want to use. It will prompt that the font will be substituted for each layer. That is about the easiest way I can come up with to change all of them at one time...sort of.

That's awesome when you get designer files with 87 layers using 18 diff fonts, none of which were supplied. Kick that shit back and request a PDF...so you can get a lo-rez pile with no bleeds.  :sleepy:

Applejack done? Well, that blows.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2013, 06:22:18 PM
Quote from: frailer on July 30, 2013, 05:51:12 PMHmmm... "Thanks for your interest". kinda says it all.   :sad:

When 10.7 or 10.8 are installed it creates a hidden partition on your hard drive. If you need to re-install the OS or repair your disk you just boot into the recovery partition. From there you can run Disk Utility or re-install the OS or restore from a time machine backup. Be forewarned though if you choose to re-install the OS it has to have a DHCP network connection to the internet and download the plus 4 GB install of Mac OS X unless you have the install files on a USB disk attached to the Mac.

My video problems have returned on my 27" iMac plus the hard drive died last week. Booting into the Drive Genius software shows my HD is now 0 KB in size and can't be fixed. So it's back to the Apple Repair facility on Thursday and I will probably be without it for another 4 weeks or so. Last time it was there they damaged the display. It has fingerprints on it that won't come off along some some scratches and scrapes and I told them I wanted that replaced too. They would be money ahead to just replace the whole iMac with another one but they are too stubborn to do that. Luckily I still have my trusty 2006 iMac that still chugs along pretty good.
Thanks, I'll follow up on that stuff, how to boot into recovery partition etc.... Got spare 8GB sticks on hand, which I presume will cover that base. Bad news on that iMac Joe. That's your work one, correct?
Wish now I'd stood my ground and not been bull-dozed into them here. No real failures (touch wood), but flakiness enough to worry.   :undecided:  New Age Minis and entry-level EIZOs woulda been the go. My choice to be a wuzz...  :shrug:

Joe

That is my home iMac (2011 27" iMac). My work iMac is the 2012 27" iMac. I haven't had any issues with the work iMac but I've only had it for a couple of months now.

QuoteThanks, I'll follow up on that stuff, how to boot into recovery partition etc.... Got spare 8GB sticks on hand, which I presume will cover that base.

Not sure what you mean. The recovery partition is on your internal hard drive. The OS installer just sets aside some space for recovery. It doesn't use "sticks" which I assume you mean USB sticks?

gnubler

A guy at work told me today you can plug in USB sticks and use them for RAM. Is that true?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on July 30, 2013, 10:31:01 PMA guy at work told me today you can plug in USB sticks and use them for RAM. Is that true?

No. You can use them as virtual memory maybe but it would be as slow as molasses running uphill in January in Minnesota.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2013, 09:31:02 PMThat is my home iMac (2011 27" iMac). My work iMac is the 2012 27" iMac. I haven't had any issues with the work iMac but I've only had it for a couple of months now.

QuoteThanks, I'll follow up on that stuff, how to boot into recovery partition etc.... Got spare 8GB sticks on hand, which I presume will cover that base.

Not sure what you mean. The recovery partition is on your internal hard drive. The OS installer just sets aside some space for recovery. It doesn't use "sticks" which I assume you mean USB sticks?

QuoteBe forewarned though if you choose to re-install the OS it has to have a DHCP network connection to the internet and download the plus 4 GB install of Mac OS X unless you have the install files on a USB disk attached to the Mac.

This bit. Am I barking up the wrong tree?   :undecided:

Joe

It downloads the files from the Apple servers and then installs it. I don't think it gives you any option to save what you download. Though if you bought the OS at the Apple store you can always burn the .dmg to a dvd or USB stick and install it from there later. But if your Mac came with the OS already installed and no DVD which they all do now-a-days then you have to re-install via the internet.

frailer

Hmmm... OK. I think life used to be simpler.  :undecided:  I need to research that in case I need to do it sometime.. booting into Recovery Partition, all that guff.

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2013, 11:07:52 PM
Quote from: gnubler on July 30, 2013, 10:31:01 PMA guy at work told me today you can plug in USB sticks and use them for RAM. Is that true?

No. You can use them as virtual memory maybe but it would be as slow as molasses running uphill in January in Minnesota.

I figured as much. He was all excited, saying it "works great" and Photoshop runs a lot faster. I was dubious.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on July 31, 2013, 10:13:01 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2013, 11:07:52 PM

I figured as much. He was all excited, saying it "works great" and Photoshop runs a lot faster. I was dubious.

Actually if Photoshop ever switches over to using virtual memory instead of real memory it's going to slow down. Unless you are using an SSD drive.