Looking for More Experience

Started by Cakeat, November 10, 2016, 07:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeat

Hello,

Do you guys have any suggestions for people looking to get more experience in the print industry? It can be paid or unpaid work.

Thanks!

Farabomb

Stop by a local place and see if they need a hand during busy times. I honestly can't say it's a good idea to get into this line of work but...
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

I would say do NOT spend a lot of money on a workstation and school with the idea that you'll get a job and make it back.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Possum

Also, decide where you want to be in the industry. Do you want to run presses? Do graphic design work? Prepress? The smaller the workplace, the more you'll have to know about every aspect, but if you work at a big place, your duties might be more categorized. However, anything you learn about the next step in the process can help the guy at the next machine.

Like Farabomb said, try visiting some places. The mom and pop type shops will probably be most likely to need some help, and they would be more hands on with everything. Learning the basics of a one- or two-color press would be less daunting than being lost in a cavern with a 6 unit, two-story behemoth.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

born2print

Great point Possum!
My wife started at a small mom & pop place...
So in no time she was manning the front counter, designing BCs and letterhead, doing pasteup, camera, stripping, folder, cutter, delivery driving, learning from pressmen (duplicators anyway), etc...
so then she applied at the biggest shop in town (here) for an estimating position and interviewed well and got the job.
Now she just about runs the place (lead job planner)
We are still friends with the awesome lady that gave her a chance here  :cool:

A real American success story! (YMMV)

I started here in the late 80's as a receiving / bindery floor help part time while at community college, now I'm Electronic prepress lead. We are a lucky pair of people.

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Tracy

You guys are a great examples of how learning from the bottom up is good!

I am considering volunteering to learn Large Format, I might have an in at a place. like on a Saturday or something.
just need to do it. :rolleyes:

I really should consider learning something else tho.