Fusion Pro... PC or Mac

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, September 25, 2014, 03:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

I need to know from Fusion Pro users which platform is best; Mac or PC. I'd rather stay with Mac, but I am to understand from a little research, the Mac doesn't play nice with some features that the PC does.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

I've never run it on PC, but it's super glitchy on Mac, even the most recent build. Also, install Pitstop FIRST before FusionPro. Basically, you can work on project and compose. Then it's crash on the next project, so you have to quit Acrobat and then restart before the second project can begin. It works, and does what it says, but unstable.

This is on Acro X1, Mac OS 10.6.8, and FP 9.2.26 with PS 12u2 and Blocks 5.0 as plugins.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Is it glitchy on the PC? Is it in your experience a wash, meaning Mac is faster at processing files, versus the PC being more stable? Why do you run Mac over PC when Mac is glitchy? Talk to me.
Member #285 - Civilian

seratne

I'm not having the same issues as Digi with stability. The latest build is actually alot more stable for me than previous versions. I do have issues with text styling not translating from InDesign to Fusion, which I think is better on the PC. But the PC version is supposedly slower. And it runs on a PC, so unless all of your fonts are OTF, I don't see a benefit to dealing with even more font issues.

Feature wise, I believe they're the same. I say go with the Mac version. If it's unstable for you, you can always deactivate and switch over to the PC version.

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 25, 2014, 04:01:42 PMIs it glitchy on the PC? Is it in your experience a wash, meaning Mac is faster at processing files, versus the PC being more stable? Why do you run Mac over PC when Mac is glitchy? Talk to me.
We only bought one license. You can only run it/install it on one machine, unlike some other programs out there, and since I have to sit in front of my Mac about 85-90% of the day (Rampage is Mac only), I went for the Mac. I have it installed, but I don't use the ID plugin; I work exclusively in PDF. With or without the Blocks plugin, it runs the same, so I assume my stability issue has to do with PitStop. I've never removed PitStop to see if it runs better, mainly because I use PitStop so often it's not even worth trying it out, even for a few minutes. One thing I can assure you of is that when I installed PS before FP, it was miserable. Working with the FP people, we determined that you MUST install FP first (I screwed that up in my first post - got it backwards). I wrote it up somewhere on here, but I can't find it now - maybe it was on that temporary forum we had once.

There is an option for larger stuff where you can run your processing off a remote server somewhere at Printable HQ in Arizona.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Thanks guys, that actually help a lot.

I have a bad ass Mac I can stick back there I am not even using, or buy a new PC. I'm trying to make this as painless as possible for the DI guy. He prefers Mac, but has been using Fusion Pro for a few years on PC.

It's not a matter of machine performance as mush as it is Fusion Pro performance.

Your input is valuable and I do appreciate it.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Base don hat I've heard and experienced with fixing font issues with FusionPro, I'd probably go with Mac.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 26, 2014, 08:52:18 AMBase don hat I've heard and experienced with fixing font issues with FusionPro, I'd probably go with Mac.

Translastion: Based on what I've heard...

Too many beers last night corn? :P
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Must be that 75 WPM and 100% accuracy thing again.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Corn's new extended nickname: Base Don Hat

DigiCorn

That was a typo.

Spell check? Not gonna catch that.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

With my 0% accuracy I try and check everything.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

abc

Just a short note to say that we had reports from some PitStop/Fusion Pro customers who were experiencing a problem, they were getting a "Critical Parser Failure" when the Preview checkbox is checked on the Fusion Pro Preview Record Selector.

We worked with Fusion Pro and it turned out the issue was on their side. They have a fix available so if you are seeing this you will need to get build 9.2.35 which is currently being tested by Fusion Pro prior to it's release