Archiving/Restoring/Renaming

Started by Holsinger60, December 10, 2014, 01:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holsinger60

I've begun messing around with the Archive function of XMF. Here's where I'm getting hung up. I'm using the Native File Management option so I can create a job and get a folder hierarchy on a server where I can store the Indesign files and whatnot. At this point, my Job Name is the same in both the Client and in the Native File Management. I can then Archive my job (Job1 we'll call it). After it is archived, I remove it from the server. Now if I go into the Archive Manager, I can Restore Job1 and it shows back up as Job1 in both my Client and in the Native Management. When you restore a job, you can give it a new ID #, but is there no way to bring it back with a new Job Name? Because if I change the name of the job after restoring it by simply editing it, the native file folder is still listed under the old job number. So now I have Job2 listed in my Client but the files for it are under Job1 in the Native File Management. Would restoring it, copying it to a new Job Name and deleting it be the route to go? That seems to accomplish what I'm going for, but just seems like a lot of wasted steps. Or maybe I'm just a dumbass and looking at this all wrong...

nordeuk@hotmail.com

Out of curiosity, do ALL your source files restore?  Ours didn't, and we had to have some Fuji tweaks - how this 'bug' was supposedly never noticed is beyond me

Holsinger60

We actually haven't gotten so far along that jobs have been deleted from the client after archiving. We've just been archiving them back before bringing them forward under a new number. I may mess with it and test it out now though since you've mentioned this.

nordeuk@hotmail.com

Yeah, worth testing.  It caused us a lot of heart break at first when we restored a job that maybe had 80 hours layout!!!  But at least it actually archives all the files, it was just the restore script needed some work, and we realized the archives were in tact we were able to unzip the archives manually anyway.