News:

Main Menu

Preps 7

Started by jmaciag, November 19, 2015, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmaciag

In Preps 5, you could print a specific range and even a specific side of an imposition. Is there a way to do that in Preps 7? :huh:
Mac OS 10.10.5 | Adobe CC 2015
Prinergy Connect 8 | Preps 8
Insite  Prepress Portal 8 | Screen 16000 VLF | Screen 36000ZX

Joe

I don't think you can. Save and Return to Prinergy does the whole imposition.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Isn't this screenshot evidence that it's possible?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

He is launching Preps from Prinergy and there is no "Print" under the file menu at that point. The only option is to Save and Return to Prinergy.

jmaciag

Correct Joe.
I am really going to miss this option. :tantrum:

DCurry

Msaybe we have different options or something, but when I launch Preps from Prinergy the option is there for me. Am I doing something different? (Tools>Start Imposition Application).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

jmaciag

DCurry-
You mean you can print specific signatures after you created the imposition?

David

I can print from 7 (when launched from Prinergy)
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on November 20, 2015, 10:08:01 AMMsaybe we have different options or something, but when I launch Preps from Prinergy the option is there for me. Am I doing something different? (Tools>Start Imposition Application).

No, create imposition or edit an existing one and have it to open Preps to create it. There are no options to print.

Prinergy 7.0.1 and Preps 7.1.3.

DCurry

I don't really consider that as "printing" from Preps, then. It's really just using a Preps-like interface to generate the impo.

DCurry

If you only want 1 side to process, can't you just select the desired side under the Signatures tab and do whatever you're doing to just what is selected? I do it all the time.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on November 20, 2015, 10:41:34 AMIf you only want 1 side to process, can't you just select the desired side under the Signatures tab and do whatever you're doing to just what is selected? I do it all the time.

Nope, it opens the whole imposition and yes you are correct, it isn't printing from Preps that way. There is no user interface that even pops up. Just a straight "save" the whole imposition. I wish I could just do a single side at times. We have registration diamonds for the press that have to be moved around so it isn't in any bleed from pages and if we only have to move them on one side it generates the whole imposition again and if you had previously generated VPS files you have to re-generate ALL of them again as editing an imposition also deletes any previously created VPS files.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on November 20, 2015, 10:41:34 AMIf you only want 1 side to process, can't you just select the desired side under the Signatures tab and do whatever you're doing to just what is selected? I do it all the time.

How?

DCurry

We don't actually "print" from Prinergy at any time. Everything we do is driven by a process template. So, if I'm setting up a job for our digital press, I refine the PDF, make and populate a page set, then create a new imposition. Once the impo is created, I go to the Signatures tab, click on the signature and then click the desired process template. In this case, it will generate an imposed PDF and put it wherever I need it to go (we have different ones that will write the file directly to the digital press's queue, and some that write the file to the job.)

If I only want the fronts to be generated, I just expand the signature list until I can see the front and back of the sig, then only select the front, then proceed.

Joe

Yeah we do that too at output but I think what he is wanting to do is just make a change to one sig or side of the imposition within Preps and have that change put back into Prinergy on just that sig or side. Granted if you have already output plates you would only re-output the plates for the sig/side that changed.