Not sure what I'm looking for...

Started by Chelle, May 13, 2009, 06:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelle

OK - here's one for you: this is for my embroidery girl. Apparently not ALL of the people in our graphics/prepress dept. are smart enough to set up embroidery logos to the size required, and my embroidery girl only has an app on her PC that lets her preview the logo sent to her, but does not allow her to see what the actual size of the logo IS.

So... she wants to know if there is something out there - FREE - that she can install that will allow her to see the size of what is sent to her. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Stiv

Chelle

Thanks, Stiv!11111! It's been so damn long since I've even thought of this program it never occurred to me!  :kiss:

Joe

Just a word of caution. Gimp doesn't do CMYK.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chelle

That's OK, Joe - she just wants to be able to measure the logos that are sent to her. The other people in my dept. don't have a clue about setting up embroidery logos and are constantly sending her things that are too large for the machines and/or the items they are supposed to go on. But thank you for the heads up! :grin:

beermonster

does the file info give dimensions? properties or whatever on a pc
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

ratintrap

It gives pixel dimensions . . . on Mac.

Chelle

I loaded gimp on my home machine last night and it does exactly what she'll need it to do. I'm going to load it for her as soon as I get to the warehouse this morning. Right now all she has is a previewer and she can't tell what size the image is. And she doesn't have an option to print it actual size to paper so she can't tell if it will fit the item and/or embroidery hoops for the machines. Yup - embroidery is an entirely different animal from press and paper. :rolleyes:

Gutnbg

Thanks for the heads-up. My wife has one of those machines and this could come in handy some day.
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

Chelle

Is this just a hobby for her, Gut, or does she embroider as a business?

Gutnbg

It's just a hobby. Mostly theoretical.  :smiley:
Too weeks ago i cuddent even spel PRINTOR an now i are one

Chelle

:laugh: It's fun I think. It's one of my company's lines of business so I'm pretty familiar w/it.

gnubler

What about just holding a ruler up to the screen? Simple.

You're welcome.  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

tapdn

usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: Chelle on May 14, 2009, 03:40:01 AMThat's OK, Joe - she just wants to be able to measure the logos that are sent to her. The other people in my dept. don't have a clue about setting up embroidery logos and are constantly sending her things that are too large for the machines and/or the items they are supposed to go on. But thank you for the heads up! :grin:

Ahhh...so the images are RGB. Should work perfectly.

GIMP's lack of support for CMYK is what is holding it back.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.