Rename PDF from text in PDF

Started by Kermy812, January 11, 2019, 01:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kermy812

So a have a few hundred pdfs with a code at the bottom right, but I need to rename the pdf by that code. Is that possible? - any easy tools to do that with? So in my attachment, my pdf would need to be renamed 37980-7X7-6427.pdf
The pdf normally has other text & logos in it, but I have removed customer info, just for uploading here

zox

I don't know about easy, but it's doable with Enfocus Switch and script.
I did similar renames and it works like a charm, as long as your code is actual text, not outlines.

pabney

If you have access to a pc then this would work

http://www.a-pdf.com/faq/how-to-rename-by-extracting-data-from-pdf-files.htm

Although I have never used this particular one, I use its big brother PDF Content Renamer to split 50,000+ page pdf files into records of varying pages lengths and name them based on page content.

Slappy

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been wanting to use something like this for months! We're doing a weekly invoicing job, just prints on shells & mails, but I've been thinking we should offer to do an email version based on the customer's ID # or Name or both. I thought XMPie would handle it, but I haven't found a way yet.

Is the "PDF Content Renamer" also from that company? They have a LOT of products, didn't see that one though.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

pabney

Sorry! Answered this just before going home on Friday and got it wrong.
What I use is PDF Content Splitter http://www.a-pdf.com/content-splitter/index.htm it can split a pdf based on content of a page, as well as name the output files based on that content.
It can have a problem with running out of memory if the pdf is to big, but I have not found anything better.

Kermy812

Thanks pabney - This is working great for me!

swampymarsh

Quote from: Kermy812 on January 11, 2019, 01:28:12 PMSo a have a few hundred pdfs with a code at the bottom right, but I need to rename the pdf by that code. Is that possible? - any easy tools to do that with? So in my attachment, my pdf would need to be renamed 37980-7X7-6427.pdf
The pdf normally has other text & logos in it, but I have removed customer info, just for uploading here

It's great that you have a tagged PDF, so you can easily convert the tags to bookmarks, then split the file based on the bookmarks to individual files using the bookmark name. All of this is detailed in the blogpost linked below.

The sample file only has a single page, so in order to test how much of a PITA this would be using standard Acrobat Pro tools a multi page file would be needed, 10 pages would be enough to gauge this process as it would include some manual steps.

http://prepression.blogspot.com/2015/07/Splitting-PDF-Files-to-Variable-File-Names.html

Kermy812

Wow - I had no idea. This worked too! All of my sub tags came under 1 top level book mark, so it was easy to simply drag them out of it to become all top level, then deleted the original top level bookmark, then it was a simple spit as you detailed.