New TV 'networking technology'?

Started by frailer, February 09, 2011, 02:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

How does this work for multiple TVs... assuming you would have to set a network purer box for each one???
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

DigiCorn

Quote from: tapdn on February 10, 2011, 09:27:58 AMHow does this work for multiple TVs... assuming you would have to set a network purer box for each one???
I currently have all my tvs and satellite boxes currently set up on a wi-fi network. This way they can share media files off the windows box, and share recorded items on the satellite box DVRs. I have a wireless keyboard and a smaller sized house, so it works from any room I have a tv in.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

How many flippin' TVs do you have in your 1200 sf house? Is one not enough?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Hell NO!

1 living room, 1 master bedroom and 1 computer/guest room. The baby doesn't get a tv in her room. I also have a non-flat panel in the garage, but it's only hooked up to a dvd player - no satellite and no network.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Chilbear

How about HD TV by air - does anyone have this? We could get most of the basic cable by air for FREE in HD now and cannot figure how to get it to work on more than one TV if we buy. We are cable based to all 3 HD TVs now. Anyone any thoughts? We are also looking into network TV but are bumping our max per month already.

DigiCorn

Oddly, I don't watch that much tv... I know it seems like I do, but I don't... maybe less than 12 hours a week in total. I just want to watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it.

The only current show I watch regularly right now is Episodes, with Matt LeBlanc, on Showtime. Once in a while I watch Holmes on Homes and Holmes Inspection on Sunday nights.

Now the wife... she can watch some MFing tv... I think it's on like 8 hours a day.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Quote from: Chilbear on February 10, 2011, 09:53:47 AMHow about HD TV by air - does anyone have this? We could get most of the basic cable by air for FREE in HD now and cannot figure how to get it to work on more than one TV if we buy. We are cable based to all 3 HD TVs now. Anyone any thoughts? We are also looking into network TV but are bumping our max per month already.
About 7 years ago I got an HD antenna at Radio Shack. Obviously, it only picked up local signals... for about 200 miles. It wasn't even hooked up to my non-HDTV, but the non-HDTV picked up everything from Redding to Fresno north and south and from SF to Reno west to east.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

tapdn

I currently have Direct TV to main DVR box in living room and a second connected box for the bedroom. I want to get rid of Direct TV all together and get a HD antenna to pick up 2 network stations from Knoxville (60 miles away) and the local PBS HD station. My question is... if I get, say Apple TV box networked for the living room main TV then what would I need for the bedroom TV to receive computer content?
Feckin commercials are putting my head away! You pay 70 or so bucks a month for dish and still have to put up with mindless crap commercials  every eight minutes!!  :banghead:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

DigiCorn

Quote from: tapdn on February 10, 2011, 10:10:09 AMI currently have Direct TV to main DVR box in living room and a second connected box for the bedroom. I want to get rid of Direct TV all together and get a HD antenna to pick up 2 network stations from Knoxville (60 miles away) and the local PBS HD station. My question is... if I get, say Apple TV box networked for the living room main TV then what would I need for the bedroom TV to receive computer content?
Feckin commercials are putting my head away! You pay 70 or so bucks a month for dish and still have to put up with mindless crap commercials  every eight minutes!!  :banghead:
Don't know anything about the apple box, but even with hulu and network tv on the internet, you get interruptions every so often for 30-60-second ads. Free tv is not free. Who do you think pays Charlie Sheen $2 million an episode to blow on drugs and hookers?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Chilbear

I just installed AppleTV (Christmas gift to Mrs). They are wireless and very portable with only the HDMI cable to plus in to be able to use on another TV. All connects to your Mac running iTunes - real easy. They have the option to hard wire with Ethernet and that is suppose to be "better" when watching movies as it streams the whole  movie/show into RAM before starting. This is why I am scratching my head - how to get Air HD to be included.

tapdn

Quote from: Chilbear on February 10, 2011, 10:17:18 AMI just installed AppleTV (Christmas gift to Mrs). They are wireless and very portable with only the HDMI cable to plus in to be able to use on another TV. All connects to your Mac running iTunes - real easy. They have the option to hard wire with Ethernet and that is suppose to be "better" when watching movies as it streams the whole  movie/show into RAM before starting. This is why I am scratching my head - how to get Air HD to be included.
[/b]

Since my house is already wired for sat tv I will just use existing cable for the HD antenna and HDMI for the computer setup... switching back and forth with the remote input button.
Can get refurbished Apple TV boxes for $85... my question is would I need one for each TV????
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

I hate iTunes so Apple TV would be out for me.

I think for Air HD you could just get an HD antenna for each TV. As far as I know there is no way to split the signal from one antenna to multiple TV's.

Netflix streaming selections are not nearly as good as their DVD selections at this time.  HuluPlus and Google TV, etc all have drawbacks, ie...limited content that expires so you have to get it watched instead of watching it when it is convenient for you. Also, as other companies jump into the fray, all of the competing services will be fighting over the content so you're going to either be stuck with one service that doesn't offer everything you want or you are going to have to pay for multiple services.

Right now I don't think the networks have a way to stream to your TV. I think the only way to get the content there is to stream it to your PC and then hook your TV to your computer. I'm sure something will be offered from the networks down the line but you can bet it won't be free and it won't be without commercials. The whole network TV, streaming content scene is a complete mess right now with everyone going off in their own direction.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Chilbear

One per TV would be easier but they disconnect really easy.

One think to remember - Apple TV connects to iTunes and Apple "authorized" web sites like Netflix et al. I do not recall being able to select input sources - could be wrong but it is really an internet TV device. I am sure it is restricted and Apple gets a cut of the redirects. Perhaps someone will jailbreak AppleTV also..

Joe - agree with all point - a mess that is why the extended head scratch.

David

I currently use "air" tv and have one antenna on the roof and run a splitter to three tvs.
Get all the local channels, about 68 or so. Some are Spanish, but hey, those Spanish novellas are really sexy!
not a slave to the man, free tv is good.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on February 10, 2011, 11:04:46 AMI currently use "air" tv and have one antenna on the roof and run a splitter to three tvs.
Get all the local channels, about 68 or so. Some are Spanish, but hey, those Spanish novellas are really sexy!
not a slave to the man, free tv is good.

HD?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.