"Malwarebytes XPC Service quit unexpectedly" warning

Started by andyfest, May 03, 2018, 01:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Usually as soon as I fire up Malwarebytes it updates the signature file, but today showed me the "Malwarebytes XPC Service quit unexpectedly" warning and the app hangs. OS X 10.8.5. First time it has done that. I deleted preferences, even re-installed but to no avail. I'm wondering if it's a problem at Malwarebytes or something insidious inside my computer at work. Any ideas?
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DigiCorn

That would be the ultimate virus/malware/bot. You get it on your system and it uninstalls or disables your virus/malware protection.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

10.8.5? Mountain Lion? I'm guessing that could be an issue. Check their system requirements and see if shows compatibility with 10.8. They might have put out an update that makes it no longer compatible with 10.8.

I assume you have tried restarting the Mac?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

andyfest

I'm running v1.2 or something like that, as v3 needs 10.10 minimum. Scans ok, but as soon as it goes to update the signature it hangs. Worked like a charm til this week.

Joe

Try moving the /Users/~/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes folder to the desktop. Then start it and see if it will update the signature.

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on May 03, 2018, 06:55:37 PMTry moving the /Users/~/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes folder to the desktop. Then start it and see if it will update the signature.
I tried that and deleting the plist file too and it still doesn't work. I'm starting to think that they have just stopped support for anything older than 10.10, maybe at the end of April 'coz everything worked up to sometime last week. I tried one of our other Mac Pro towers and the same thing happened. I did send a report to the developer so we will have to see if I can some kind of reply.

Joe

My guess is that the new antivirus signatures won't work in the older OS. When it crashes have you looked at the crash log in Console to see if it gives any info about the crash?

andyfest