"Name too long"

Started by aprilmarie, October 02, 2007, 01:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubting_thomas

Ya, I'm aware of ExtremeZ-IP. Too bad we don't have the Server version of W2K   :'(

Thanks for the reply

Joe

I have the server version of W2K. Doesn't help. ;D
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

doubting_thomas

I've been told that you can designate Apple support when you set up your
share, and that this will make SMB work the same way AFP does with
respect to data and resource forks (keeps them intact). The share
language support designation supposedly needs to be defined at the
time it's created, and then can't be changed.

Any way you could help out a fellow American down on his luck by
testing it out   ;D    or have you already?

Joe

I'll look when I get into work but don't recall seeing an option like when creating the share. I only remember seeing the option to create a windows share and an AFP share. The AFP share is limited to the dreaded 31 character file name limit.

Just to make sure we are on the same page...we are talking about Windows 2000 Server and and not Windows 2003 Server, right? I think we only have Win 2003 Standard but we do have Win 2000 Server.

doubting_thomas

Quote from: Joe  on January 04, 2008, 01:20:40 PMJust to make sure we are on the same page...we are talking about Windows 2000 Server and and not Windows 2003 Server, right? I think we only have Win 2003 Standard but we do have Win 2000 Server.

You're on the same page as I am. I promptly forgot the directions I received after I
figured out that we ran W2K and not Server, but when you make the share there should be
options at the bottom of the initial dialog box. If it's AFP support only, then poo! The character
limit is what I'm trying to get rid of.

Thanks, Joe!

Joe

Here is a screen shot of the dialog box to create a share. We use the Microsoft Windows and the Apple Macintosh option and we still can't get around the 31 character file name limit on the AFP side. If we use the Windows share (SMB) we get around the 31 character naming convention but it still screws up the resource fork of fonts and files named without a file extension. Same on our Win 2003 box which I just checked and we do have server on it. After Win 2003 Microsoft has eliminated AFP in it's server products which most likely means your next server will probably need a product like Extreme Z-IP or you'll need to get an XServe. XServe would be my choice.

born2print

barely keeping up w/ this network shizzle so I've been quiet (for a change)
the X-serve works flawlessly, but it's "extra" equipment that's not part of our workflow, we use it as a shuttle and as a backup mainly. So we have the same issue w/ smb & afp as far as Prinergy goes. What a PITA, I wish we could all link arms in unity and start upcharging customers $5 PER OFFENDING FILE + $1 PER CHARACTER... watch this issue go away quick then! >:(
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

doubting_thomas

Thanks for the screen shot, Joe. What you're saying makes sense. A bit disappointing
though. Looks like we'll be sticking with our current set up if we can't get around communicating
via AFP. I'd be very interested in looking at an XServe if the need came up. My boss
would probably go for it too, but our current box is humming along just fine.

Maybe if I put my coffee mug on it every day the law of averages would take over and a spill
will occur. Hmmm...

Appreciate the help, Fearless Leader ;D

Joe

Sounds like ours. We put it in in late 2001. It's a dual 1 GhZ pentium with 1 gig of ram (very slow by todays standards). The damn thing won't die much to my chagrin.

Chilbear

The screen shot make me think back. I cannot remember whether the IT guy added the Windows share by itself, then added the Mac share value afterwards as a second move on  ours. We stopped at W2K because of this Mac "friendly" method. I do know that is how a different name is made for Mac (Print_Server vs Print Server) as the Windows will not accept the blank space in the name. Little rusty now as this stuff was installed and running since 2003.

Joe

I don't usually link to Print Planet but here is a discussion that is well worth your time if you are in that Appletalk - Long Filename - Resource Fork dilemma using Microsoft SFM.

Long PC File Name Fix?

doubting_thomas

Quote from: Joe  on January 18, 2008, 05:23:17 PMI don't usually link to Print Planet but here is a discussion that is well worth your time if you are in that Appletalk - Long Filename - Resource Fork dilemma using Microsoft SFM.

Long PC File Name Fix?

I'm sure they won't mind, Joe  ;)

So far I havn't run into any issues here. I need to copy 7 gig's of info back up to the server that I
pulled down last night via AFP. If the transfer via up CIFS works out ok I'll be very happy indeed.
I'm lucky here because that's all the info I'd need to re-save.

Joe

My biggest problem is going to be the 7 years worth of backups that HAVE to be pulled back off to an AFP share.

MonkeyBoy

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=280.msg10909#msg10909 date=1200698597I don't usually link to Print Planet but here is a discussion that is well worth your time if you are in that Appletalk - Long Filename - Resource Fork dilemma using Microsoft SFM.

Long PC File Name Fix?

Cripes, I thought I had dejavu. I just had read that over at the other place. We truncate our file names here. It adds a bit of hassle but it works. Been using dat tapes forever.

Joe

Well I just hit a snafu. Nexus does not like SMB/CIFS. All my links and pages show up as Unix Executables. >:(