Mac not refreshing finder windows on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, August 07, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to check that out on the old iMac.

Yeah, that would definitely be an option to try when I feel like getting an extra day in... hmm...
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

AaronH

Yep its an AFP version issue.

It works just fine with no problems on the older 2006 iMac.

My guess is with the security update in July messed with the AFP protocol on newer machines and our old LaCie NAS isn't getting that update too.

Very weird.

Edit... How many posts is ninja level... not that I'm trying to get there artificially or anything...  :ninja:

Joe

Ninja = 1,000 posts

Ninja Master = 5,000 posts

Supreme Ninja = 10,000 posts

Ninja Warlord = 25,000 posts
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: AaronH on November 27, 2019, 04:18:15 PM
Yep its an AFP version issue.

It works just fine with no problems on the older 2006 iMac.

My guess is with the security update in July messed with the AFP protocol on newer machines and our old LaCie NAS isn't getting that update too.

Very weird.

Edit... How many posts is ninja level... not that I'm trying to get there artificially or anything...  :ninja:

My guess is that the problem with SMB is also an incompatibility between the SMB on the NAS and the newer Macs.

It would be a shame if that Lacie NAS suddenly died huh? :evil:

AaronH

Quote from: Joe on November 27, 2019, 05:00:56 PM
It would be a shame if that Lacie NAS suddenly died huh? :evil:

It would...  :evil:

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on November 27, 2019, 04:43:33 PM
Ninja = 1,000 posts

Ninja Master = 5,000 posts

Supreme Ninja = 10,000 posts

Ninja Warlord = 25,000 posts

Just a post to see where I'm at...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Not sure if I should start a new topic or not, but I think it has something to do with SMB connections...

My co-worker has an external hdd of the last three years of job files, so I connect to his iMac quite frequently. How I connect is through finder on the sidebar under Network Locations. I've realized that they're connecting via SMB now instead of AFP and for whatever reason, I'm unable to search or spotlight or whatever it's called on SMB shares. No matter what I search for even if its in the window I'm looking at, it comes up with "0" items.

I have to manually type in to connect command+k then afp://imac2._afpovertcp._tcp.local

What's the deal with either issue? Why can't I search over SMB (on both the file server and my co-worker's iMac) and why can't I connect to another iMac via AFP by default?

Joe

Apple changed the default connection to SMB when they deprecated AFP.

No idea why you can't search SMB. All of our connections are SMB and we search all of the time. Using the Mac search sucks though so I use EasyFind.

AaronH

AaronH

Ugh, now I'm having the same connection interruption I had when using AFP earlier this year. I can't seem to keep my SMB connection for very long. No one else in the building is having the issue.

I don't think I'm losing connection to the net/network itself. My music doesn't stop playing and I don't lose connection to other machines on the network, just the server. We'll now come to think about it I lose connection now to my co-worker's iMac quite frequently as well, but not the ancient iMac using AFP.

:facepalm:

Joe

You know with the odd issues you are having how is your network configured. By that I mean what kind of ethernet cables, ie...cat5, cat5e, cat6? What kind of network switches? 10baseT, 100baseT, Gigabit? How old are the switches and cables?

AaronH

I don't know how old things are per say. I know I've been here for 4 years and they're older than that. The network cables are all either CAT 5e or CAT 6 - the ones from the NAS to the switch and from the prepress iMacs are CAT 5e. We have a Comcast business router that is about 3.5 years old and the switch is a gigabit Netgear 48 port switch - no idea what model it is, the sticker that should have model information just has a MAC address and Serial Number. Some other numbers but none of them mention Model Number.

Edit... Now that I think about it, I'm going to try using WiFi instead of Ethernet. I can't rule out my ethernet cable.

David

is your mac plugged into a phone by any chance?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

AaronH

Quote from: david on December 11, 2019, 01:23:05 PM
is your mac plugged into a phone by any chance?

No phone connected to it.

Quote from: DigiCorn on December 11, 2019, 01:25:28 PM
...or is it defaulting to wifi?

Nope. If I have the Ethernet cable in, I make sure wifi is turned off. If I have Wifi on, I have to manually tell it what IP address, subnet mask and router information it should have otherwise websites won't load - the router gives my Mac a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address. The router seems to do that to any Mac or smart phone made after 2016 or with a 10.10+ macOS.