Anyone ever have this error?

Started by iceman99, March 11, 2009, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman99

This is and error I have been getting when I try to drop a pdf into Preps when  starting a new job. When I get it, it terminates my preps program. I don't get it all the time.  Would anyone out there know what this is. I get around it now by opening the pdf and saving it as a EPS. We are running Preps version 4.2. Any help is appreciated!!!

Joe

I have to believe that Preps 4.2 is going to have a hard time dealing with newer PDF's from todays applications. I have the latest 5.3x and I've never seen this error.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

I have seen this error with Rip Managers, Harlequins and Calibration managers and Preps, but only on the PC, never on the Mac versions. I do believe it to be a stinkin Windows problem more than the application since I am running the same software on both platforms.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

That could be why I've never seen it then. No Preps on Windows here. :laugh:

Ear

Quote from: Joe on March 11, 2009, 10:46:18 AMThat could be why I've never seen it then. No Preps on Windows here. :laugh:

:wink: It's one of the reasons I rarely use our PC preps. I keep a few peecees current as a daily reminder of why I love mah Macs!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

tapdn

Earlier versions of Preps were so much slower on Macs, so we ran on PeeCee. Even then the hassle of dealing with the winders OS almost made up for the speed difference. With version 4 of Preps we dumped the window machines and now run exclusively on Mac. Haven't seen that error in a long time.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Ear

You're right, Tap, it was faster on the peecee until recently. Preps only recently, (4 or 5 years ago maybe?) started running in OSX. I remember having to run Preps in classic, which sucked.

Joe

We went from Presswise 3.02 (OS 9) straight to Preps 5. No OS 9 or classic involved thankfully.

iceman99

Well we do not have any Mac's here we phased them out. Do you think I need to upgrade this program then?

tapdn

Quote from: iceman99 on March 11, 2009, 01:14:05 PMWell we do not have any Mac's here we phased them out. Do you think I need to upgrade this program then?

bitting tongue :undecided:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Ear

In my opinion, it isn't a problem with the specific program but rather the Windows System. I say this because I see the same "memory could not be read..." error message with other programs on my PCs meaning it must be a system issue. I have seen it on my Spinjet RIP Manager, my platesetter Raster Blaster and Preps on a PC work station but never on the Mac workstation, which is my main Prep station.

You phased Macs out? At a professional printing facility?  :huh:

tapdn

...sure E, don't ya know! They're "cheaper".
(and worth every penny)  :rolleyes:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Ear

Cheaper or less expensive?  :laugh:

iceman99

We had nothing but problems with the Mac's. The company made the decision to move towards PC's a couple years ago and I have to tell you we have had more success and less issue's with the PC's then the Mac's. You ask any of the designers here and they will tell you they prefer the PC's. But to each there own I guess. I appreciate all of the helpful advice you all have given me and hopefully I will still get more to come!!

This problem I am having now is not stopping me I just wanted to know if there was a solution.

Mike

tapdn

Mind me asking what kind of problems you were having with the Macs? Honestly not trying to start a flamewar here, just curious.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb