Bring to front marks...

Started by tapdn, November 12, 2009, 09:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

I know this is simple, but I am brain dead from an intense week.
Template has color bar running across center of sheet with a built in "white area" behind. There are fold marks placed on top of color bar. I need the color bar to knock out (print on top of bleed page elements), but the fold marks need to print on top of color bar. I can't seem to bring the marks to the front. Layered I need pages on bottom, then color bar and fold marks on top.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Skryber

I don't know how to do this either. I've always cut my bleeds down if they were overlapping the color bar. I'll play around with it.

edit: select color bar, Info, Bring to front?
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

tapdn

That will work for me Skryb, but not the perfect solution. The answer is stuck in the back filing cabinet of my feeble brain!!  :undecided:

thanx
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

Skryber

Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

t-pat

Quote from: tapdn on November 12, 2009, 10:36:29 AMThat will work for me Skryb, but not the perfect solution. The answer is stuck in the back filing cabinet of my feeble brain!!  :undecided:

thanx

been a while since I've actually used preps but this sort of thing came up all the time when I did. preps crop marks will come to the front and will have a hairline white knockout around them. You could step and repeat them or a static mark brought to the front should work too. Don't have preps in front of me to verify this but I remember doing stuff like this all the time.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

tapdn

should...but

bring color bar (static mark) to front of pages then select my crop mark (also static) and bring to front then the color bar is still on top of my crop mark! Think I vaguely remember there is a key combo involved.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

t-pat

Quote from: tapdn on November 12, 2009, 11:11:08 AMshould...but

bring color bar (static mark) to front of pages then select my crop mark (also static) and bring to front then the color bar is still on top of my crop mark! Think I vaguely remember there is a key combo involved.

will the automatic preps fold marks work? I'm going to have to fire up my "demo" of Preps at home and check this out - been too long!
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Hey, I think I just replied to this over at the GUA but I've replaced the built in template marks with smart fold marks. That's the only way I can get them on top of everything else.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

tapdn

yeah, should have recognized that was you Joe. I'll try that, but seems I remember a way from the past to do this- could have been before smart marks though.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

Let me know if you find a method that works. I've tried everything I can think of. The problem I've had is the built in template marks are not selectable to tell them to come to the front. We do yellow pages on phone books and the yellow background knocks them out and we can't shorten the bleed enough to keep them. The fold smart marks is the only thing I've found to work. Either it's something new in the last version or two or we just never noticed it over the years until recently.

tapdn

Doing our first phone book now actually. Narrower 30" web and odd book size forced me to create all new templates. Did as Skryb suggested and changed the bleed margin to get by.  In the past we have built color bars with the fold mark in Photoshop and placed in Preps, but you can imagine the placement in templates have to be dead on!
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

Joe

On the plus side the fold smartmarks are a breeze to create. I just don't like having to fix about 500 templates though. We are just slowly updating them as necessary.

frailer

Yep, I seem to remember those Marks with the white border around them too, from the early days (well, our early days, 5 years ago). Possible that functionality has disappeared? You talking Static, not Smart...correct? Was mucking around in XMF impo, having exactly the same problem. But this time my own imported Bar knocking out the trims. Emailed Fuji lady. We'll see. Won't hold my breath on a solution.

Quote from: Joe on November 12, 2009, 12:28:31 PMHey, I think I just replied to this over at the GUA but I've replaced the built in template marks with smart fold marks. That's the only way I can get them on top of everything else.

...so...you've just decreased the mean reply-lag time over at GUA, from, say, 5 days to 2?     :tongue:   :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 12, 2009, 01:36:01 PMYep, I seem to remember those Marks with the white border around them too, from the early days (well, our early days, 5 years ago). Possible that functionality has disappeared? You talking Static, not Smart...correct? Was mucking around in XMF impo, having exactly the same problem. But this time my own imported Bar knocking out the trims. Emailed Fuji lady. We'll see. Won't hold my breath on a solution.

Quote from: Joe on November 12, 2009, 12:28:31 PMHey, I think I just replied to this over at the GUA but I've replaced the built in template marks with smart fold marks. That's the only way I can get them on top of everything else.

...so...you've just decreased the mean reply-lag time over at GUA, from, say, 5 days to 2?     :tongue:   :laugh:

:laugh:

The Preps forum is pretty slow but the Prinergy one usually is fairly active and you hear from someone the same day in most cases.

tapdn

Got that right Frailer- GUA forum is about as useful as saddlebags on a sow!  :rolleyes:
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb