Applying creep, different signature layouts

Started by tuff_gong, July 20, 2011, 12:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuff_gong

Testing out Preps 6, trying to see if this will work.
60 page job, 8.5x11, running on 38x25 press sheet.
First sig is a 12 page Z fold.
Other 3 sigs are 16 page sheetwise.
In Preps 5, we could not get the creep to work with this scenario. Will this work with Preps 6?
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

t-pat

Quote from: tuff_gong on July 20, 2011, 12:45:14 PMTesting out Preps 6, trying to see if this will work.
In Preps 5, we could not get the creep to work with this scenario. Will this work with Preps 6?

if they're all saddle stitched parts it should. Depends how you made it. If you're paginating manually, no. If you're building the parts/products as saddle stitched and using folding patterns or old saddle stitched layouts, probably.

LMK if you want me to look at it, I'm guessing I'm the one with the most preps 6 experience here. 
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

I'm thinking you'll have issues with the 12 pp z-fold. Most impose apps don't creep z folds because all the pages are the same size.
If the 12 is the outer most spread, it may not need the creep, but the 3-16s that go inside will.

I'm assuming the 3-16s will stitch into the 12, so in essence, the 12 should only be counted as a 4pp, with the other 8 just left as a fold out.

does that make sense?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Grimace

I usually just treat stuff like that as 2 separate jobs.
Use blank filler pages for the 16 page sigs to make up for the 12 z folds being gone.
Just output what's needed.

Grimace

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

and that's funny?

I noticed that there were no responses on the GUA, either, after 27 views.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Quote from: david on July 20, 2011, 01:43:48 PMand that's funny?

Now that's funny.      :laugh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

t-pat

use the built in folding pattern for all parts.
Apply Saddle Stitched to all parts.
Apply creep to the job.

NOTE:
When you apply creep in Preps 6 you will notice the pages that are creeping are highlighted slightly yellow in the press sheet view.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: frailer on July 20, 2011, 01:47:26 PM

why do you think i was laughing? GUA is Kodak's domain, as is Preps... and no answer
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 20, 2011, 01:55:04 PM

why do you think i was laughing? GUA is Kodak's domain, as is Preps... and no answer
...because they don't know. I swear we give solutions to Kodak 3 times for every issue they actually solve for us.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

t-pat

Quote from: born2print on July 20, 2011, 02:11:40 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on July 20, 2011, 01:55:04 PM

...because they don't know. I swear we give solutions to Kodak 3 times for every issue they actually solve for us.

just going to answer the same thing. Sometimes I think I should get a paycheck from Kodak too.
vdp donkey

Farabomb

Probably becasue they needed time to look up the answer to "what is creep".

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: tuff_gong on July 20, 2011, 12:45:14 PMTesting out Preps 6, trying to see if this will work.

It should work in either Preps 5 or 6 as long as they are all the same binding style and you have to have all signatures in the same job. If you have the templates binding style different for the 12 pager, Preps 5 won't let you mix binding styles in the same job but Preps 6 will. But I'm not sure the creep will work correctly in Preps 6 if you mix binding styles. In Preps 6 I'm talking about using the old Preps templates, not the folding patterns that tpatterson mentioned. I'll leave folding patterns to him as he has dealt them a lot more than I have.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

Looks like the 12 pg will run separately anyway and it doesn't need the creep
I do what grimace does just apply the creep to the 16's
Im nowhere near preps 6 tho! :laugh: