Applying creep, different signature layouts

Started by tuff_gong, July 20, 2011, 12:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on July 20, 2011, 07:58:49 PM
Quote from: tuff_gong on July 20, 2011, 12:45:14 PMTesting out Preps 6, trying to see if this will work.
60 page job, 8.5x11, running on 38x25 press sheet.
First sig is a 12 page Z fold.
Other 3 sigs are 16 page sheetwise.
In Preps 5, we could not get the creep to work with this scenario. Will this work with Preps 6?

It should work in either Preps 5 or 6 as long as they are all the same binding style and you have to have all signatures in the same job. If you have the templates binding style different for the 12 pager, Preps 5 won't let you mix binding styles in the same job but Preps 6 will. But I'm not sure the creep will work correctly in Preps 6 if you mix binding styles. In Preps 6 I'm talking about using the old Preps templates, not the folding patterns that tpatterson mentioned. I'll leave folding patterns to him as he has dealt them a lot more than I have.

Old folding patterns should work as Joe says - if they're the both saddle stitched binding style. Not sure the creep will be applied on a non saddle stitched layout but it's easy enough to check and easy enough to simply change binding style in preps 6.You can see immediately in the Press Runs window what got creep applied (see above re: yellow highlighting).

I'm starting to use the folding patterns more and more, we finally got bindery to agree to certain basic folding patterns and give us a better idea of what they want as far as lip and trim, with that info you can make the folding patterns do what you need.

We still use most of our old layouts for saddle stitched jobs but when I get some oddball 72 pager in a small format that runs as 1 64 pg perfecting and 8 up 8 pager perfecting we don't have an old layout - so I have to put the thinking cap on and figure out a folding pattern to use and apply the fancy head/foot/face trim and high folio lip Preps 6 style. It makes sense once you do it and actually fold a full size mock.

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait