Preps 6 - Fold Patterns

Started by Joe, June 26, 2014, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

To continue this topic from the temp forum from a few weeks ago here:

http://temp.b4print.com/index.php?topic=13.0

Quote from: johnny_jayI got this from Kodak:

"So there is a piece of information on the Release Notes relating to vertical shingle that I missed   - vertical shingle can only be applied to layouts created with JDF folding patterns.

You can change the shift direction to up but then would not be able to have any left/right movement"

My testing confirmed this, no error but the pages did not move. Only the horizontal shingle worked.

Now they move in the preview, in preps, and it's the sig when imported into Prinergy.

I need to use the auto bottling feature for a job within "Layout Details" in Preps 7.0.2 but I'm running into the same kind of issue as what johnny_jay had when trying to use vertical shingling. It only works with fold patterns and not templates so I'm trying to use a supplied 32 page JDF fold pattern to match the layout of our old templates. See attached image for how our old template is (front is left half and back is right half of attached image). Going through all of the supplied JDF fold patterns supplied with Preps and I cannot find a way to make the pages come out in the same spot as they are in the attached image.

I can create a custom fold pattern and save it with the pages in the correct position but the bottling within "Layout Details" does not work on custom fold patterns either.

Any ideas???

(I must admit that working with fold patterns was much more flexible in XMF than what Preps 7 is proving now) :embarrassed:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

johnny_jay

I wish I could be of more help but I barely got done what I needed. I ended up using one of the supplied templates and rotated it 180 degrees and made it multi web and saved it as a template.

It works but the kicker is that it no longer shows it uses a fold pattern.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

Joe

Quote from: johnny_jay on June 27, 2014, 11:18:01 AMI wish I could be of more help but I barely got done what I needed. I ended up using one of the supplied templates and rotated it 180 degrees and made it multi web and saved it as a template.

It works but the kicker is that it no longer shows it uses a fold pattern.

Yeah and when it no longer shows a fold pattern the bottling in Layout Details does not work.

johnny_jay

That's odd, the bottling and all still works on my 2 web.

Preps 6.3 Build 129
Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert

Joe

Quote from: johnny_jay on June 27, 2014, 11:33:18 AMThat's odd, the bottling and all still works on my 2 web.

Preps 6.3 Build 129

Did you apply the bottling by selecting the pages and changing it in the right hand column in Preps or did you change it in "Job" ===> "Layout Details"?

If I do a "Save as Template" shingling still works from "Layout Details" but bottling does not and if I do "Save as Custom Fold Pattern" shingling no longer works from "Layout Details" and bottling isn't even an option as it is grayed out within "Layout Details".

I do notice in your screen shot too that even though the info for "Fold Pattern" is blank it still shows the Fold Flip, Fold Rotation, and Bind Edge info like it is still a fold pattern. If you "Save As a Template" that info is no longer there for me.

Oh and I'm using Preps 7.0.2 but it should not be different than Preps 6.3 build 129.

johnny_jay

It was done in layout details.
Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert

Joe

Hmmmm...somehow you are using a fold pattern then. Did you save it out as a job, a template, or a custom fold pattern?

johnny_jay

It's a template. But to be honest, with the new preps I am not sure what I am doing.

Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert

Joe

Don't feel bad. I'm lost too!

:lmao:

When I open your template all I see is:

DCurry

It's blank because it contains a custom fold pattern that is resident on j_j's machine.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Well that makes sense except for the part about his bottling in Layout Details works and my custom fold pattern doesn't. I think Preps 7 has regressed from some functionality in Preps 6. :(

Joe

Just found out from Kodak that bottling in a custom fold pattern should be fixed in Preps 7.1...whenever that may be is anyones guess.

johnny_jay

Quote from: Joe on June 27, 2014, 02:20:12 PMWhen I open your template all I see is:

:embarrassed: Sorry I didn't include the fold pattern, I can't seem to export it in a way that will allow me to share it with you.  :embarrassed:
Preps
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
G7 Expert