Generating PDF files: using PostScript or direct export?

Started by Laurens, January 02, 2008, 01:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdboddy

Yeah, most Adobe programs play well with other Adobe programs, so going directly to PDF is often best.  But MS Office stuff often doesn't play well with Adobe programs/formats.  So those ones get a postscript first.  :)  I wish I could always depend on the Export/Make PDF route, but I've been burned enough times that I can't always trust it.

Joe

LOL...I've learned you can't "trust" any method. Check the resulting file closely...and then check it again.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe  on January 17, 2008, 02:22:33 PMLOL...I've learned you can't "trust" any method. Check the resulting file closely...and then check it again.

Then check the proof, then check the plates, as well as checking the pressheets... ;)   Me no likey getting burned...  better to be overly cautious.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

elmo3

Quote from: pdboddy on January 17, 2008, 10:27:55 AMThere have been enough issues with going straight to PDF from MS Office products that I have found it's better to print a postscript and distill.

But, if you're using a modern version of Acrobat, hitting the little "turn this to PDF" button at the top of the Word document does exactly that.  It makes Postscript, then distills that Postscript.  They just hide all the detailed bits that happen during the process.

If you see a difference between hitting the little button and "file-print-savetofile-dropOntoDistiller", it's either that your PDF prefs in Word aren't set right, or you're imagining things.

pdboddy

Quote from: elmo3 on January 17, 2008, 06:37:22 PM
Quote from: pdboddy on January 17, 2008, 10:27:55 AMThere have been enough issues with going straight to PDF from MS Office products that I have found it's better to print a postscript and distill.

But, if you're using a modern version of Acrobat, hitting the little "turn this to PDF" button at the top of the Word document does exactly that.  It makes Postscript, then distills that Postscript.  They just hide all the detailed bits that happen during the process.

If you see a difference between hitting the little button and "file-print-savetofile-dropOntoDistiller", it's either that your PDF prefs in Word aren't set right, or you're imagining things.

Likely my PDF prefs in Word.  However, for the longest time, that button would not work properly.  It would never get to the "generate the pdf" step.  The odd time it did work as intended, there were usually font problems.  At the time, it was just faster to print the postscript, and distill.  Back in the day, I had very little time to mess about with things.  Nowadays, that button works, but for the life of me, the fonts will not embed.  The settings just won't stay set.  So now you know the story behind it.  :P  Also, at times I have to deal with rather antiquated versions of Word, and the "turn this to pdf" button does not work.  Only so much time I can spend messing around, and it's hard to justify the time, when print and distill works every time.

Vee

Quote from: Joe  on January 17, 2008, 10:57:52 AMOh there are plenty of issues with going the PS ===> distill route. Especially if the original file has a lot of transparency. I find I have a lot fewer problems if I keep the transparency live and let the RIP flatten it. Does a much better job than letting the PS ===> distill method flatten.
Ding Ding Ding!!!!! We have a winner!!
Keep the trans live, so we can edit and select it - printing to .ps flattens and makes it hard or impossible to select certain things. Export first, if issues - print to .ps >> distill.
All the good RIPs will flatten better than any desktop app. Period.
Vee
It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!

pdboddy

Quote from: Vee on January 17, 2008, 08:57:21 PMDing Ding Ding!!!!! We have a winner!!
Keep the trans live, so we can edit and select it - printing to .ps flattens and makes it hard or impossible to select certain things. Export first, if issues - print to .ps >> distill.
All the good RIPs will flatten better than any desktop app. Period.
Vee

It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish, in the end.  If you need to edit the pdf afterwards, then keeping the transparency alive makes things easier, depending on what you're doing.  If you're just trying to get a pdf file to print from, as long as it looks right, the transparency is irrelevant.

But then again, if you need to edit... wouldn't it be better to work with the original file and export a pdf when you're done?

Vee

Quote from: pdboddy on January 18, 2008, 10:20:20 AMBut then again, if you need to edit... wouldn't it be better to work with the original file and export a pdf when you're done?

Yes it would be better to edit the original..... I just like to keep my options open, in case I need to make a small/quick edit when checking the PDF. That's all.
It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!