Prinergy 9 Catalina and Big Sur macOS11

Started by Joe, October 21, 2020, 08:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: RMPrepress on October 21, 2020, 08:24:57 AM
Same here...Kodak has finally gone into beta mode for Prinergy 9.
Probably see release in early December.
It will be 64bit compatible for Catalina and Big Sur

They went into beta on 8.5 about 6 months ago and it was supposed to support Catalina. Now they have scrapped 8.5 entirely and went to beta for 9.0 to support both Catalina and Big Sur. I would be shocked to see a public release on 9 this year.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

RMPrepress

Yeah you are probably right Joe...This was posted on the GUA site on Oct 1st....

Prinergy 9 beta starts today
10-01-2020, 01:56 PM

Great news everyone as the Prinergy 9 beta started today and will last about 8 weeks. Prinergy 9 is a major software release with full support for Mac OS 10.15 and 11 (Big Sur). Some highlights for Prinergy 9 are:

APPE 5.4 that is 64 bit. (New complex job mode handling)
Updated PDF libraries
VPS+ for Mac OS 10.15 and 11 (Big Sur) and 64bit native. This is in addition to the current VPS product.
Callas 11
Prinergy Cloud 1.5.1 with new job dashboards, Plate and ink usage, and updated decision analytics.
ColorFlow 9 with full extended gamut support and X-Rite i1Pro 3 support
ColorFlow Measure edition
Preps 9 with support for Mac OS 10.15 and 11 (Big Sur) 64bit native.
Windows 2019
Oracle 19 upgrade
Over 24 bug fixes
Managed services installer

All beta slots are filled so stay tuned for screen grabs and updates coming soon.

Michael Bialko
Product Manager
Last edited by michael.bialko; 10-01-2020, 01:59 PM.
Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

We were asked to beta test 9 but declined due to the heavy workload we are in now. I've beta tested for both Prinergy and Insite and they usually have work to complete after the beta cycle ends so there is some delay between it ending and the actual release date. We've held off upgrading Macs for over a year now because new Macs come with Catalina. So the sooner the better for it to be released. We're going to have to have Kodak upgrade us from Windows Server 2012 R2 to either 2016 R2 or 2019 as 9 is not going to run on Windows Server 2012 R2.

RMPrepress

We have done Kodak InSite beta's for 9 and 9.1...good experience both times.

OUCH...I did not realize Prinergy 9 would not run on Windows Server 2012.
Our Prinergy Server will be 4 years old this December and it runs great, zero complaints but it is running 2012 R2
Looks like I will be installing 2016 or 2019 soon...I will be calling Kodak too!!

Joe

RMPrepress

I made a Workshop Client suggestion to Michael at Kodak via the GUA...any one here agree with it...

"Michael, question we have always wondered about the Workshop client.
Why is there no other way besides the click and right click at the bottom left dropdown window or the File dropdown to have a job folder open up?
This is something operators do hundreds of time a week and it seems like there should be a big button at the top of the Workshop window for this action.
I know it is a system command and perhaps there is no way to integrate that better into Workshop.
Just a thought as it has been discussed in our prepress department in the past."

Reply..
Hi Rob, This is a great feature request that I will add to the system for a future version of Prinergy.

Joe

I asked the tech that installed Prinergy in 2009 why something like that wasn't there and he suggested I put in a feature request at Kodak for it so I did. 11 years ago. Still waiting. I hope you have better luck.

Michael is pretty good with stuff like this though. I asked about his Prinergy OnDemand post and what it was. It has to do with the cloud. He has already contacted the people and have had it added to our account. No charge. Can't believe Kodak said "No charge" to anything. :rotf:

RMPrepress

Well Michael did actually email me and I responded so we will see. :rolleyes:

We had the cloud back up on Prinergy but did not renew.  Too expensive and it just was not a good fit for us.
The analytics they keep pushing that come with it are nice and all but again the price for information you are really never going to use or that you kind of already know just made no sense for us.
Kodak and Heidelberg and all the vendors really keep pushing the analytics that their software can give you but how many printers out there have a dedicated person to evaluate all the numbers and info and if you do then what do you do with that info or what do you do about what it reveals?

joch230

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2020, 08:39:09 AM
We were asked to beta test 9 but declined due to the heavy workload we are in now. I've beta tested for both Prinergy and Insite and they usually have work to complete after the beta cycle ends so there is some delay between it ending and the actual release date. We've held off upgrading Macs for over a year now because new Macs come with Catalina. So the sooner the better for it to be released. We're going to have to have Kodak upgrade us from Windows Server 2012 R2 to either 2016 R2 or 2019 as 9 is not going to run on Windows Server 2012 R2.
I have one Mac on Catalina and it runs Workshop. Just won't run Preps. My other Mac that came with Catalina, I made it dual boot to Mojave which works with Preps and Workshop...just that Workshop does that delay thing when you ask it to do something that uses a process plan.

Joe

I don't think Virtual Proof will run on Catalina either. At least that is what Kodak says. Virtual Proof and Preps not being able to run are the deal killers for us.

The delay when you ask it to do something that uses a process plan you mention? Can you elaborate on that? I get a delay anywhere of 5 to 30 seconds if I double click a PDF to open in Acrobat from Workshop on Mojave. Other users here don't have the problem on Mojave but Kodak has verified the issue. Drag and drop a PDF to the Acrobat icon on the dock and there is no delay. Same for opening VPS Proofs from workshop. Big delay before it does anything using the right click menu but if you drag-n-drop the vps files from the workshop "Storage" tab to the Virtual Proof icon in the dock there is no delay. On these issues there is no process plan in play.

RMPrepress

Joe, we see the delays you are seeing as far as Acrobat goes but not with VPS files.
Drag and drop a PDF from pages list to Acrobat icon opens right away but a double click has a long delay.
VPS files seem to open up as they should with maybe just a slight delay with the VPS app already being open.
Don't notice any delays as far as process templates are concerned.

Joe

I think the Acrobat delay is longer than the VPS delay but I still see it. The Acrobat delay can get brutal. I've seen it take up to 30 seconds to open a PDF. Most times it is about 5 to 8 seconds. I have trained myself to drag them from the list to to the dock icon. No delay there. I've also found out the longer you have been running Acrobat the longer the delay gets. But my iMac is worse than any of the other iMacs running Mohave. I even tried creating a new account on my iMac. Does not help.

scottrsimons

We never had the Prinergy Cloud nor the Analytics either because of cost. And as far as the analytics, we get all of that data from our accounting system, which is where I believe most companies would want that data to come from. Al though I can see some large scale printers who have multiple sites or even multiple Prinergy servers, could take advange of the data to see where or how their equipment is being best used. Not us, one location, one server.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

joch230

Quote from: Joe on October 21, 2020, 01:56:20 PM
I don't think Virtual Proof will run on Catalina either. At least that is what Kodak says. Virtual Proof and Preps not being able to run are the deal killers for us.

The delay when you ask it to do something that uses a process plan you mention? Can you elaborate on that? I get a delay anywhere of 5 to 30 seconds if I double click a PDF to open in Acrobat from Workshop on Mojave. Other users here don't have the problem on Mojave but Kodak has verified the issue. Drag and drop a PDF to the Acrobat icon on the dock and there is no delay. Same for opening VPS Proofs from workshop. Big delay before it does anything using the right click menu but if you drag-n-drop the vps files from the workshop "Storage" tab to the Virtual Proof icon in the dock there is no delay. On these issues there is no process plan in play.
I read it on the B4Print forum:
Re: Prinergy 8.2 OSX Mojave
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »
We only see the delay when we try to use any type of Process template.
Shortcuts and/or right clicking to access process plans is an 8 second delay.

We can open pdfs through workshop quickly.

Joe