Working from Home / Coronavirus

Started by StudioMonkey, March 20, 2020, 05:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

Quote from: Tracy on April 08, 2020, 01:02:09 PM
Holy Cow!!
working from home and my desk chair is uncomfortable
I look over at my husbands desk, he's got this massive chair, pulled it over to my desk
and OMG! it is so comfortable!! when he gets home from work he's going to see it at my desk!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao: That's marriage! How does it go? What's his is yours and what's yours is yours?
Mine is a wooden chair. I'm slouchy, sit Indian style and use pillows so it's not so bad.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on April 08, 2020, 02:34:18 PM
go ahead and go fishing! who's gonna know! :dev2:

OK I'm going to tell my boss that Tracy said it was OK.

🐟
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Using TeamViewer commercially for free without issue (knock on Ikea wood). I did tell the boss if it stopped working, we'd have to buy a subscription and she's on board with that. My main issue is that I use multi screens and sometimes I can drag -and-drop to the 2nd screen, and sometimes I can't. I haven't been able to figure out why. I also have a crappy video card at home that only has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 VGA and I'm using 2 32" 1080 tvs as monitors. I have one tv on hdmi, but the 2nd is on vga because there is no dvi. Anyway, I just plopped down $149 to Amazon on a new upgraded video card that will have dual hdmi output and bring my video RAM from 1.5gb to 4gb and I got the boss to pay for it! Plus, since I bought it and got reimbursed, I can claim it on my taxes as a business expense since I have the original receipt. I'm thinking about upgrading some other shit!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Turns out my new video card was NOT dual HDMI... It was one HDMI and one DP (add joke here). Called around this morning and found a DP-to-HDMI adapter, and just had to brave Best Buy to go get it. I had them pull it aside, and then I went and stood 10 feet apart from people outside the store until it was my turn. I'm going to open up the case later and blow all the dust out and attempt the upgrade. The card is huge! It's like easily two inches thick. I hope there's enough room in there for it!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

StudioMonkey

Update - Week 3 of the lockdown.....

Working from home is going OK but I have a lot of in-between time.  Online gaming is a great help but I thought it would be good to learn a new hobby.  A friend sent me a link to some free software for Modular Synthesisers.  This is what's keeping me sane at the moment;  vcvrack.com (pic attached)
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

DigiCorn

Opened up my case yesterday and I literally had nothing in it except my old upgraded video card (a 1.5gb AMD). I forgot to unlock it, and broke the mechanism on the PCI slot removing it, but I had a plethora of other slots to utilize, so I just chose another. Noticed that while I have 8gb RAM, I still had 2 open slots, so I ordered 8 more GB RAM from Amazon for $67. I also found a 3rd HD that i installed, but never connected to the motherboard, so I did and just increased my storage capacity by 250gb, so now this computer has (will have 16gb RAM), a 1tb drive, a 500gb drive and the 250gb drive plus the upgraded video card and my bluray and dvd burners (x2). I think I originally built it about 10 years ago, but I think I can make it last another 5 at least. I did get the DP-to-HDMI adapter, and it's all working smoothly, so working from home just got even better.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Santa

Quote from: StudioMonkey on April 14, 2020, 03:41:24 AM
Update - Week 3 of the lockdown.....

Working from home is going OK but I have a lot of in-between time.  Online gaming is a great help but I thought it would be good to learn a new hobby.  A friend sent me a link to some free software for Modular Synthesisers.  This is what's keeping me sane at the moment;  vcvrack.com (pic attached)

A guy I used to work with plays with those in the real world. It's technology meeting music. 
He's all over all the music platforms barry-jamieson and inkfish

delooch

I've been "working from home" since mid-March. Chemo puts me at a disadvantage. Kind of hard doing your job 13 miles from your equipment.  By dumb luck, I have a temp in place that I can shout orders to remotely.  We hired her to pick up the bindery slack which I couldn't keep up with, then suddenly shes the only body in the shop for a few months. I taught her all the bindery/finishing, but she has no training on the digital equipment because I did not see a pandemic coming in the future. 8 hours is hard to fill from my home office, but since no one knows what I really do anyway, it's easy to bullshit on the timesheet.

The shop has been really busy, as you can imagine for a municipality its been a non-stop shitshow of CV-19 prints and materials. Like, NON-STOP. The city has shed most of its employees, so I was expecting the work to drop considerably, but it's maintained.  Ironically, the print shop has been on the chopping block every year for the past 8+ years, and suddenly we are an essential division to keep the City's wheels turning. Who the fuck figured?  Hopefully they remember this at the next budget appropriations.

abc

Lockdown week 5 here.

Wondering if I love my wife or if it's Stockholm syndrome.

;D

DigiCorn

Is anyone else working from home as fucking busy as i am?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 14, 2020, 10:28:00 AM
Opened up my case yesterday and I literally had nothing in it except my old upgraded video card (a 1.5gb AMD). I forgot to unlock it, and broke the mechanism on the PCI slot removing it, but I had a plethora of other slots to utilize, so I just chose another. Noticed that while I have 8gb RAM, I still had 2 open slots, so I ordered 8 more GB RAM from Amazon for $67. I also found a 3rd HD that i installed, but never connected to the motherboard, so I did and just increased my storage capacity by 250gb, so now this computer has (will have 16gb RAM), a 1tb drive, a 500gb drive and the 250gb drive plus the upgraded video card and my bluray and dvd burners (x2). I think I originally built it about 10 years ago, but I think I can make it last another 5 at least. I did get the DP-to-HDMI adapter, and it's all working smoothly, so working from home just got even better.

$150 is pretty cheap for a GPU, or I am just used to the gaming ones. Not sure of the age of your computer as you didn't really give any specs i.e. CPU and GPU. Adding an SSD as your main boot drive will make a HUGE difference and have you wondering why you never did it before.

I have 1 TB NVME drive that is the size of a stick of RAM, mounts directly on the mother board. Was a little over $100 CDN, super fast, no cables to connect and room for one more just like it. These are the biggest and best change to computer hard ware I have seen in a long time.

DigiCorn

WHEN (not if) I build a new computer, hopefully Fry's will still be around... Or Joe Exotic Tiger Direct. Without question, I will start with a SSD 1tb minimum HD as my boot. More, if it's affordable. I don't mean to brag, but I have means. Anyway, this old girl has been a trooper; I mean a real workhorse. I can't remember when I built her, but it's got to be 8-10 years and she is chugging along, almost like new. It's got to be the maintenance; I on the regular clean her up. I can't imagine what a new machine is like, but if it's better, then like WOW, man! She's an AMD Athlon II 640 4-core, 3ghz. 8gb RAM, but waiting on Amazon for another 8gb; Was supposed to be here 4-17, but delayed and NO UPDATE! Eventually, it'll get here. In addition to updating RAM and video, I bought a new speaker system, to replace the one I got circa 2005. $29 on Amazon, and it's a serious upgrade. If I build a new system, I will keep the monitors and speakers, but I will upgrade the video even more, and I will max out the RAM. I'll keep the Bluray burner and DVD burner, but switch from AMD to Intel. My main HD will be a minimum 1tb SSD, but bigger if it's affordable. 2x NAS already in place for backup and offline streaming.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

We had 3 people who do what I do. 1 got laid off and one doesn't want to work and wants to stay home on vacation. I am so overwhelmed right now, I'm having a mini-panic attack. I can't keep up with all this work and try to home educate two kids; It's too much. It's slower to log in remotely, and none of this stuff is repeatable; it's all new complex stuff that can't be easily picked up and repeated. I'm starting to burn out.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway