Xerox 700 problems

Started by Sammie, April 14, 2010, 06:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammie

The scanning function stopped working on the Xerox 700. Anyone have this problem, if so what was the solution?

LoganBlade

1. Xerox contract ran out on software to use it?
2. A jam (paper) in the system that is hiding.
3. it is broken call your tech.

Good luck and post if it is something simple.
"dyslexics have more fnu"

Sammie

As it turns out it wasn't a simple solution but I will post it anyway. Xerox techs tried reloading software then it stopped scanning 2 weeks later. Then they ended up replacing all of the fiery rip parts but the hard drive. Our district service manager was very responsive and helpful in getting the problem resolved asap!  :cool:

Possum

Bet you had a big fat job that just had to go out on it that day, too.  :cheesy:
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

cookbooklady

I've had a Xerox 700 with a FreeFlow server for 2 months.  I'm having two major problems with it.  It gives me a lot of false color clicks.  I am primarily printing from Microsoft Word documents.  It counts all my grayscale photos as color, as well as other pages without artwork or photos...can't figure out what is triggering the color click.  I think it is related to the FreeFlow server. Also, I'm experiencing lots of plate shift...about 1 out of every hundred pages is affected.  A real problem when I'm printing 200 page cookbooks and I have to check every single page of output.  Has anyone else experienced these problems?  How often should you expect a plate shift on a machine like this?

Joe

Quote from: cookbooklady on August 25, 2010, 06:57:53 PMI've had a Xerox 700 with a FreeFlow server for 2 months.  I'm having two major problems with it.  It gives me a lot of false color clicks.  I am primarily printing from Microsoft Word documents.  It counts all my grayscale photos as color, as well as other pages without artwork or photos...can't figure out what is triggering the color click.  I think it is related to the FreeFlow server. Also, I'm experiencing lots of plate shift...about 1 out of every hundred pages is affected.  A real problem when I'm printing 200 page cookbooks and I have to check every single page of output.  Has anyone else experienced these problems?  How often should you expect a plate shift on a machine like this?

As far as the click charges I would guess it is because everything that comes out of Microsoft Word is RGB and the RIP is seeing it as color. A couple of things to try, 1) see if Microsoft Word will let you print as grayscale/black & white mode and/or 2) see if the RIP has an option to convert pages to grayscale/black & white before they hit the Xerox click charge.

No idea about the plate shift. How much are we talking about?

Oh...and welcome to the forum.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Make PDFs out of the Word docs and convert them to grayscale. I wouldn't print out of MS Word for all the nuts in the world.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

cookbooklady

Thanks for the reply! Actually, it doesn't seem to matter whether the file is converted to PDF or not.  My cookbooks contain both color and grayscale pictures, so I can't do a general fix.  The work-around is to send the document as grayscale and then make the color pages "exceptions" on the FreeFlow. A bunch of technicians are looking at the problem.   I think I saw a blog somewhere that said there was a patch for the problem for the Fiery...but as far as I know, there is no solution yet for the FreeFlow. I don't think this problem is limited to Word documents. Just beware if you have the FreeFlow server...you may be paying for extra color clicks.

As far as the plate shift goes, it's pretty dramatic on the page...often the photo is broken into three distinct images...yellow,cyan and majenta.  Very colorful...but not great look on Grandma in an heirloom cookbook! Is a problem like a plate shift related in any way to the server? Or is it a machine issue?  Is there anyone out there with a Xerox 700 that has experienced this on a regular basis?

gnubler

Does the 700 have "plates" or are you just using that term loosely? It's toner based, isn't it?

Def sounds like an engine problem, something mechanical in the machine itself.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: cookbooklady on August 25, 2010, 09:38:25 PMThanks for the reply! Actually, it doesn't seem to matter whether the file is converted to PDF or not.  My cookbooks contain both color and grayscale pictures, so I can't do a general fix.  The work-around is to send the document as grayscale and then make the color pages "exceptions" on the FreeFlow. A bunch of technicians are looking at the problem.   I think I saw a blog somewhere that said there was a patch for the problem for the Fiery...but as far as I know, there is no solution yet for the FreeFlow. I don't think this problem is limited to Word documents. Just beware if you have the FreeFlow server...you may be paying for extra color clicks.

As far as the plate shift goes, it's pretty dramatic on the page...often the photo is broken into three distinct images...yellow,cyan and majenta.  Very colorful...but not great look on Grandma in an heirloom cookbook! Is a problem like a plate shift related in any way to the server? Or is it a machine issue?  Is there anyone out there with a Xerox 700 that has experienced this on a regular basis?

I would guess the shifting is the Xerox and not the RIP but I'm not familiar with either of those. Edited to add: Agree with gnubler here.

On the pages that you are getting a color charge that you shouldn't be...are the images and text on the pages all grayscale to start with? I agree with gnubler (yet again) though, don't print from Word because everything out of Word is RGB. Make a PDF and you can then convert the pages that need to be B & W with Acrobat Pro.

gnubler

The joys of Xerox. I could make a list of all the "problems" we've had with ours, but I don't have 2 hours to type right now. (same reason I can never find the time to listen to one Phish song)

I just heard some explosions and screaming. Could be related to someone agreeing with me twice in a row - and announcing it publicly.

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 25, 2010, 10:02:09 PMThe joys of Xerox. I could make a list of all the "problems" we've had with ours, but I don't have 2 hours to type right now. (same reason I can never find the time to listen to one Phish song)

I just heard some explosions and screaming. Could be related to someone agreeing with me twice in a row - and announcing it publicly.

The beginning of the end?

gnubler

Could be, especially with that post count. 12222..............222222222222222

Creepy, eh? It's been fun. You were always my fave admin.

Joe

cookbooklady

Ah, I didn't realize I could use Acrobat to change individual pages to grayscale.  That would be certainly better than keying in 90 exceptions every time I send the job over to the FreeFlow. At least the changes would stick with the file. I was extremely careful in preparing the Word file...absolutely no color on the page...and the technician even prepared a color picture totally stripped of color in Photoshop and it came through as a color click. Why have I never had problems on my RICOH 3260's?  I don't like to change my files to PDF because I think the quality of the photos goes down a notch...at least in some cases.

You are right about the color plate thing...the "press" is toner based and I don't know why they refer to it as a plate shift...maybe it just looks like the plate shift of a real press.  I'm worried.  Xerox was nice enough to swap printers last week, hoping to solve another issue.  The plate shift is happening with the new replacement Xerox 700 too.  That's why I'm hoping it is server-related... I think that is next to go!