News:

Main Menu

Roku

Started by DigiCorn, February 22, 2012, 09:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

Quote from: david on March 06, 2012, 03:41:20 PMyou get paid for this?

dayum

not really. prepress, production, & dezign are "free" out of the goodness of my heart. I charge them $42k yearly to be a delivery driver, which really blows.

Farabomb

Sidenote about external USB drives. My 2tb Seagate will spin down when it's not being accessed by the roku box. I just bought a 3tb model that's slightly different and I will report back if if spins down as well.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I just use Plex on my desktop along with the Roku app, and run everything from the NAS. I have the NAS programmed to turn off and on at designated times though the day when I know I will use it. I do this because I have apps on my tablets and cell phones that access NAS files also; this way I don't have to load up all my devices with data, and every device has access to the same stuff.

Just counted up the devices on my home network - there are 12 wifi devices and 2 hard wired devices. No wonder my router can't handle the traffic. I need a better ISP; Might have to bite the bullet and go back to xfinity/comcrap.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 25, 2012, 09:23:08 AMSidenote about external USB drives. My 2tb Seagate will spin down when it's not being accessed by the roku box. I just bought a 3tb model that's slightly different and I will report back if if spins down as well.

What are you using to watch content from the external?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

The Roku USB channel. It only reads .mkv files so out of my thousands of videos I can watch maybe 20-30 of them. I'd love one that reads everything but I haven't had the time to find one if it exists.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Plex plays .mp4, .wmv, and .mkv for me. I tried out roksbox and playon, but plex plays the best, even if it does misidentify the videos half the time.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Does Plex read from the USB or do I have to have my other computer on?

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Never tried. But it should work from whatever directory you point it at. As long as Plex server is running on that device.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Yeah, you have to have the computer running Plex server but Plex can store it the USB device but it's going to have to stream it across the network instead of having the USB drive plugged directly into the Roku.

Farabomb

That's what I'm trying to avoid. I want to have all the movies on the USB so I can just turn t on and go. Yea, I could use plex, turn on my PC, stream it form there but getting the woman to understand how it all works is the trick.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on April 25, 2012, 11:45:25 AMThat's what I'm trying to avoid. I want to have all the movies on the USB so I can just turn t on and go. Yea, I could use plex, turn on my PC, stream it form there but getting the woman to understand how it all works is the trick.

That is why I'm not using Plex. Sounds like you need to Handbrake your movie collection. The nice thing about Handbrake is that you can set up a whole slew of them and set them off and let them run overnight or over the weekend.

Farabomb

That's why I bought the 3tb. That's going to be for backups and I'm going to transcode everything and put it on the 2tb just for the roku.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Would love to get a screenshot of how you have handbrake set up. Every time I try to run it, I run into issues. I always end up just doing it through DVD Fab. I just did four Pixar movies last night from DVD and then copied onto my tablet's SD card for the kid for when we go out of town this weekend. I made .mp4s; each one was 720 and about 1gb. I think .mkv is a better format, but I wasn't sure if the LePan could play an .mkv file. As it turns out, it can't play an .mp4 either, unless you install the MX Player app.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

iirc .mkv is just a wrapper, not a format per se,
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

well, yeah, but your media player has to be able to understand the .mkv contents in order to play
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway