Trendsetter or Screen?

Started by Farabomb, April 09, 2015, 09:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

We have been having more and more issues with our platesetter and it is quite old. I may have convinved the boss that a new, used one might be a good idea. We have a guy that we buy a lot of equipment from that has a trendsetter. There is also a local guy that has a screen device. Both are about the same price and age. If you had the choice, what one would you go with?

I have limited experience with the trendsetter back when we were using it for proofing and it had issues. I'd have to assume it's more refined now but it is a Kodak device so money could have been not allocated to developing the device.

Screen is rebadged by everyone and their mother and is in a lot of shops. Everyone I talk to says that's the one to get, even salesmen.

Now, to the people in the trenches, what is the real story. I expect there to be minor issues with any device but if you had to choose, what one would you pick and why?

I expect I can have E Z High-tec service either one without issue but I expect I will be the one making the first fix attempt.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Our Trendsetters have served us very well, fwiw.
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Farabomb

Not surprising. They are of the 2 main platesetters I see for sale. I just tend to see a lot more screen devices.

Again, I'm not for or against any either. I might be able to get a better deal on the trendsetter but I don't want to end up with some ancient, non used device like I have now.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: Farabomb on April 09, 2015, 10:57:32 AMNot surprising. They are of the 2 main platesetters I see for sale. I just tend to see a lot more screen devices.

Again, I'm not for or against any either. I might be able to get a better deal on the trendsetter but I don't want to end up with some ancient, non used device like I have now.
Trendesetters track hours (others likely do too) so you should absolutely know the "mileage" on your prospective device.

Farabomb

A slightly tired machine that can be easily serviced might be better than what I have now.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Our Trendsetter seems to be a work horse
We had the laser head replaced about 9 years ago.
Still going, I hope I'm not jinxing myself :laugh:

That is very costly to replace so like Born said
Get the milage on it.

maybe even a warranty on the laser head?

David

we have a Trendsetter, never has any issues.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Thanks for everyone's replies.

If they start dying tomorrow it's not my fault at all.  :undecided:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Farabomb

I was talking about the trendsetters, not you guys.  :hello:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

I'd go with Screen, just because it's probably easier to get it serviced because it's rebadged under so many names. They are also great machines!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

I've never used either for CTP but we had a Screen imagesetter and you couldn't break that thing with an A10 Warthog.

(Anyone tries to sell you a Luscher run away as fast as you can)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Our Fuji T9000 (rebadged Screen device) is 11 years old and has imaged over 200,000 - 29 inch & 40 inch plates. We've had service done, but nothing really major. Great work-horse machine.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

I may have to use the A-10 analogy in my pitch.

I want a screen for the service and durability reasons. If I can get the trendsetter for below $20k that may sway me towards it but I'm really pushing for the screen.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: andyfest on April 09, 2015, 01:20:31 PMOur Fuji T9000 (rebadged Screen device) is 11 years old and has imaged over 200,000 - 29 inch & 40 inch plates. We've had service done, but nothing really major. Great work-horse machine.
I too have a T9000... same deal, the dang things are work-horses. We have to 5-bay auto-loader attachment and it just sits there, churning out plates all day, every day, with very few problems.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black