Mac not refreshing finder windows on SMB Share

Started by AaronH, August 07, 2019, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

You should be able to tell your router what IP address and range to use for DHCP.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

I do have it setup that way. DHCP numbers are free from 192.168.0.70-200. For some reason, newer Macs and smartphones have an issue with this router and have to be manually set for IPv4. The router is assigning IPv6 just fine, but it won't assign IPv4 and it seems as though if you don't have a v4 address, you can't browse the internet or network.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Joe

Your ISP has to have IPv6 enabled and supported to use it and you have to configure it on the Mac to match the settings your ISP uses.

That is weird that it isn't handing out IP's correctly to the Mac and Phones. Is your router the "Comcast business router" that you mentioned previously and if so is it an actual router or just a cable modem. If it is a cable modem I can see why it may not be handing out IP's correctly. You really should have a normal router between your cable modem and your network for security purposes. I know with my Charter/Spectrum modem there is no firewall security at all in it. My cable modem plugs into my regular modem that does have firewall/security to protect my network for what lurks on the public side of the internet. Maybe your "Comcast business router" does but just asking because of the weird network issues you are experiencing. Should look something like this:

The Ethernet router above would actually connect into your gigabit Netgear 48 port switch which would then connect to your devices. The Ethernet router would be the one handing out DHCP addresses and not the cable modem. Also if you have more than one device on your network that has a built in DHCP server in it you should disable all DHCP servers but one.

I may be way off base on your network config but it is doing some weird stuff.

AaronH

Its a Cable Modem/Router Combo Unit. It has it's own firewall and everything. Its the only thing handing out DHCP IP addresses too. It has 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wifi channel thingies too and can support two phone lines (though we don't use the phone line part).

So far, being on Wifi is helping with the network volumes ejecting randomly. I haven't had one drop connection since I switched to Wifi yesterday. Normally on Ethernet, I drop 1-3 times a day. Not helpful when my comp is the one running the cloud backup software for the server. My NAS can't backup to all cloud services, just Amazon, Google, Yandex and a few others, but those are all much more expensive per GB than CrashPlan. Crashplan's just $10 and the others are pay per GB/TB and with 6+TB of data, we'd rack up a good sized bill pretty quickly.

Joe

Maybe see if you can get Comcast to replace it with a new one because some weird things are happening on your network.

AaronH