I Have A Confession... I Told A Customer To STOP Using Freehand

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, November 14, 2011, 05:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yep, you heard it. I have ONE, count them, ONE customer still using Freehand. Calendar job, built 99% in Photoshop with text set in FH. It took me 3 hours to get usable postscript. When I called the customer to ask her to stop using it, she said, "There are people out there, professionals that refuse to use anything BUT Freehand. I am one of them. If you want my work, you will have to keep an old machine."

Even though I am Pro-Freehand.... I don't want this stupid ass marring up my memories. I asked her if she's ever used InDesign. She replied, yes, but it's just too much like PageMaker.

I was thinking, you can't even use FH, what would be the difference? I said, "Then plan on your proofs being at least an extra day of production."

I feel dirty and ashamed.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 14, 2011, 05:35:45 PMI feel dirty and ashamed.

Don't worry, this guy probably does too...   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Syphon

WHAT?! DCS tells customer to stop using Freehand!
The world must to coming to an end!!!!!
(runs screaming from the building)
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 14, 2011, 05:35:45 PMYep, you heard it. I have ONE, count them, ONE customer still using Freehand. Calendar job, built 99% in Photoshop with text set in FH. It took me 3 hours to get usable postscript. When I called the customer to ask her to stop using it, she said, "There are people out there, professionals that refuse to use anything BUT Freehand. I am one of them. If you want my work, you will have to keep an old machine."

Even though I am Pro-Freehand.... I don't want this stupid ass marring up my memories. I asked her if she's ever used InDesign. She replied, yes, but it's just too much like PageMaker.

I was thinking, you can't even use FH, what would be the difference? I said, "Then plan on your proofs being at least an extra day of production."

I feel dirty and ashamed.

Good call!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

my new hero...

now talk them into not using Quark... PLEASEEEEEE
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Greg_Firestone

To aid her transition from Freehand to a more professional application we're giving her free copies of either PrintShopPro or CorelDraw.

- Greg

G_Town

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on November 15, 2011, 08:28:43 AMTo aid her transition from Freehand to a more professional application we're giving her free copies of either PrintShopPro or CorelDraw.

- Greg

DCS, kill him.

David

Quote from: Greg_Firestone on November 15, 2011, 08:28:43 AMTo aid her transition from Freehand to a more professional application we're giving her free copies of either PrintShopPro or CorelDraw.

- Greg

and, included in the package (at no additional cost), a copy of the latest Print Artist Platinum Pro v121.7.

:drunk3:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

I had a dream last night. I was back in the day when everyone in prepress/ graphics used Macs only and Quark was king. All photo editing and graphic design was done in Photoshop 7 and everyone in the industry had a deep understanding of the offset printing process and NEVER tried to slip in anything with the word Micro$oft. It was glorious... then I woke and said thank the great spirit of the universe I am retired!

carry on
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 14, 2011, 05:35:45 PMShe replied, yes, but it's just too much like PageMaker.

Then did you inform her that InDesign actually works when you go to print?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on November 15, 2011, 10:11:53 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 14, 2011, 05:35:45 PMShe replied, yes, but it's just too much like PageMaker.

Then did you inform her that InDesign actually works when you go to print?

It really depends on who is behind the wheel of it. I have plenty of customers that make InDesign files worse than Publisher.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Was it Sabby who recently had a custy who was "having trouble" placing a ZIP archive into Indy? :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on November 14, 2011, 05:35:45 PMEven though I am Pro-Freehand.... I don't want this stupid ass marring up my memories.

Kind of feels like seeing your hawt high school crush, 20 years later, with a mullet-toting scode, at the county fair. End of the innocence.  :hangme: :laugh:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

NefariousDrO

At the risk of igniting a massive firestorm at me, I never used Freehand much, but dealt with a couple of dezingers who abused the program badly. For years that shaped my assumptions about the program itself until long after Adobe had eliminated it. I still don't know enough about FH to know what I missed out on, but mainly I wish Adobe had more competition.