News:

Main Menu

Prepress Billing

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, September 18, 2012, 01:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

I recently discovered what my company actually charges for Prepress costs. I was floored to learn it was quite a bit lower than what I had been told. My questions for all of you are:

How much do you charge for Prepress time?
How much do you charge for plates? (Being specific on this one... we run 40" plates)
How much do you charge for imposition proofs? Do you charge for whole sheets, or by square foot, and how much per?

I have to totally redo our billing and I would like a general consensus to adjust accordingly.

I'm tired of giving this shit away and hearing how a raise is out of the question.

Thanks in advance.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

If you are uncomfortable posting this information in public, please, please PM me. I can see why some of you would be apprehensive.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

I will say, it is quite common to undercut prepress cost to win a bid. Not sure why, maybe they view the department as less overhead. I don't agree with doing this but I see it happen often.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

I know for a fact it happens a lot more than I previously thought. Giving shit away however, is absurd.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

andyfest

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 18, 2012, 01:48:12 PMI know for a fact it happens a lot more than I previously thought. Giving shit away however, is absurd.
It happens more often than you think. Sales pukes will ditch prepress charges first if it is a dealmaker, especially if a new client is involved.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Lammy

They're not giving it away, it's just worked into the print price  :lmao:
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Lammy on September 18, 2012, 02:15:09 PMThey're not giving it away, it's just worked into the print price  :lmao:

I hear that a lot.
Member #285 - Civilian

Lammy

yup, usually after they had to cut the cost on a job too.
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

Joe

The biggest problem I see is that almost are jobs are quoted for, and excuse the term I thoroughly hate, camera-ready jobs. Meaning jobs that require no prepress intervention because salesmen all know customers create perfect files and are flabbergasted when they learn the files are just a bunch of big brown turds.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

From what I can gather, our estimator automatically figures in an hour of prep time for each job. According to my PM, any other time we add, is above this cost. Of course materials are given away at a cost to us, so why not throw a few dollars on the bill.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Back in my service bureau days we charged $245 per hour for computer prepress work and we sure as hell didn't give away the material at our cost. This was in the early 1990's. Which could also explain the demise of the service bureau. :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on September 18, 2012, 02:46:13 PMBack in my service bureau days we charged $245 per hour for computer prepress work and we sure as hell didn't give away the material at our cost. This was in the early 1990's. Which could also explain the demise of the service bureau. :laugh:

Yes, I know. I made AWESOME money back then.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Yes, I refer to them as The Glory Days. Queue up Springsteen.

andyfest

Yup, $200 plus per hour was normal back then. It's all pretty much flat rate now.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro