Illy file with live fonts & stroke

Started by Joe, January 31, 2008, 01:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Posting this image for zimmy. Anyone ever seen a stroke look like this one? If so, why or how?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

wierd

my punt is maybe the screen font isnt too healthy and illy cant render a decent stroke - but that wont be it i'm sure
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

EyeTech

Looks like the stroke is thinner than hairline - which begs the question would it actually be imaged on film or plates?Quark hairlines are .0017in.
'I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out'" Bill Hicks

Self-indulgent Flickr page

Zimmy3

It is an OpenType font,as soon as you go below.002 it starts to wack out.Even with a different font.(tried Adobe Helv)

Even when outlined it's still wacked.

(Thanks for posting, Joe)
Because it feels good !

almaink

How was it stroked? Looks like a solid shadow was also applied to the stroke.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

David

It's probably too small to render the stroke accurately. I've seen that when trapping on some complex objects with a lot of points (which is just like making a stroked object). We use Esko for trapping (which is illy on steroids) and even it has difficulty doing some.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Zimmy3

Quote from: almaink on January 31, 2008, 08:15:56 AMHow was it stroked? Looks like a solid shadow was also applied to the stroke.
It was actually stoked with the same as the fill but I turned the stroke to mag so you could see it better.
Because it feels good !

Zimmy3

Quote from: david on January 31, 2008, 08:23:05 AMIt's probably too small to render the stroke accurately. 
That's what I was thinkin.There has to be a limit somewhere.
Because it feels good !

David

did you try changing the miter limit on the strokes?
I think the default is four, try zero or something else to see if it has any effect.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Zimmy3

Quote from: david on January 31, 2008, 08:37:48 AMdid you try changing the miter limit on the strokes?
I think the default is four, try zero or something else to see if it has any effect.
Yea,didn't see a difference.If you get time try one yourself and lemmy know what happens.
Because it feels good !

Joe

Quote from: Zimmy3 on January 31, 2008, 07:10:10 AM(Thanks for posting, Joe)

No problem zimmy. If you need to post images you can click the + sign just below and left of the text box where you type your post and from there select the button next to "Attach:". Then you can select your image from your computer and it will post like mine did (as a thumbnail and then the user can click it to enlarge). The only requirement is that the images have to be 128 kb or smaller. Just an FYI in case you need to post something and don't want to wait around until I check my email. :grin:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Zimmy3

Quote from: Joe  link=topic=1079.msg11834#msg11834 date=1201797884
Quote from: Zimmy3 on January 31, 2008, 07:10:10 AM(Thanks for posting, Joe)

No problem zimmy. If you need to post images you can click the + sign just below and left of the text box where you type your post and from there select the button next to "Attach:". Then you can select your image from your computer and it will post like mine did (as a thumbnail and then the user can click it to enlarge). The only requirement is that the images have to be 128 kb or smaller. Just an FYI in case you need to post something and don't want to wait around until I check my email. :grin:
Ok. I was under the assumption I had to register with someone,
like Photobucket to post pics.
I'll try one next time.
Because it feels good !

Sparky

Damn Leopard, "screen shot" no longer exists. when I try to use "capture" the dialog boxes disappear from the screen
I re-created the issue in Illustrator, got the same results, and saw that the stroke was ".101 point" that's too small for anything to render.
Why would you want a stroke that small? OK whatever. even for a trap, a stroke of .3 pt is more than sufficient.

"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Sparky

Quote from: david on January 31, 2008, 08:37:48 AMdid you try changing the miter limit on the strokes?

1 is minimum david. I tried to play with the settings when I re-created the effect and nothing changed. the stroke is just too small to render properly.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"